"Bukowina, hej Bukowina" Bukowina Tatrzanska by evaanna

Bukowina Tatrzanska Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 68 photos

If you asked me which holiday destination I know best my answer would have to be Bukowina Tatrzanska, a large village in the Podhale region with a great view of the Tatra Mountains. We went there year after year, together and independently of each other even before we were married. That's not where we met though but we could have done if we hadn't both been shy of strangers. Bukowina lies on three or four hills not far from Zakopane, but higher - you can really feel the clear brisk mountain air, but don't breathe in too deep, the fumes have now got there as well.
We visited the place regularly at the time before colour photography so we have few pictures from that time. Our black and white pictures are of too poor quality to put on VT.
If we liked the village so much, why did we stop going there, you might ask. The reasons are three: first, we had already seen all there was to see in Bukowina, second, the place had changed, becoming noisy and touristy beyond words, and third, the Polish - Slovakian border opened to us around 1990, letting us discover the unrivalled peace and beauty of the Slovakian Tatras, just a few kilometres away. Yet we did return there once or twice for a few days on our way to Slovakia but the crowds, the traffic and the noise discouraged us again. If you are interested in skiing, that's the place to visit in winter time with a number of ski-lifts, nice restaurants serving excellent food and hot wine with cloves. You will never want to leave.
This year we revisited the area but stayed in the quiet village of Jurgow for a change so I have been adding pictures and updating tips and am going to write new pages on Jurgow, Bialka Tatrzanska and some other villages in the area soon. So far, I have only finished my Chocholow page, showing this wonderful village of old wooden houses and my Niedzica page, showing the great castle and Czorsztyn Lake.
Just a word of explanation of the title of my page. The local people of Bukowina, like most highlanders living in the Podhale region, use a dialect, distinct from standard Polish but understandable to the rest of us Poles, called, a little scornfully, 'cepry'. The word 'hej' (pronounced hey) is used a lot in that dialect and may mean 'yes', 'fine', 'is that right?' - depending on the intonation. I must say I like that 'hej' very much.

• Pros:Great views of the Tatras, not as crowded as Zakopane
  • Cons:More distant from the well-known mountain trails than Zakopane
  • Last visit to Bukowina Tatrzanska: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Lovely page Ewa! The festival would have been wonderful to see, the mountains and lakes, and let me loose at those market stalls! We wouldn't be able to do the walking that you did, but at least there is horse rides for some of the way.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Ewa. I passed through Zakopane and did the hike to Morskie Oko and the lakes above. Would love to see more of the local highlanders lifes. Great set of pages!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Ewa, This is a lovely page! Would like to see the traditional costumes and the folk fair, plus the mountain scenery and the gorges look stunning! Those children's shoe's are beautiful too! Doubt if I could resist them!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Excellent Bukowina travel page. The mountain glades and Bialka River sound interesting to visit and explore. Zakopane certainly looks stunning. We have heard a lot about Zakopane as winter sports destination especially on ski jumping from tv. ~ho & pang

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Just checking back to have a look at the two new tips that you have added since my last visit to this page. Interesting that there are also "highlanders" in Poland, not only Scotland. (I guess every country has people who live up in the hills somewhere.)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Great to see the Tatras from the other side and to see an alternative to Zakopane!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM

So beautiful!! But I fully understand how you feel now with the noise and the masses, as you knew it as pristine region. I love the photo with lupines and haystacks of Brzegi :-)) Lovely updates and I still would like to try Oscypek

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Very captivating page Ewa, with your interesting writings & observations. Enjoyed the Folk Festival, the Old Wooden Church, the wonderful walkways and the smoked Cheese.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM

2006:Superb location! In the Dauphiné region, we have also a historical/legendary figure, Mandrin, who took from the wealthy and gave to the poor! 2009: very interesting updates!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 4:16 AM

Fantastic! Barrel-shaped cheese is fascinating. Sad about the noise. Rusinowa and Glodowka Glades are spectacular. Folk festival and Lake sound terrific. Excellent insights and descriptions with brilliant photos.

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Bukowina Tatrzanska

Have you been to Bukowina Tatrzanska?

Latest Activity in Bukowina Tatrzanska