"Hel - the tip of the Hel Peninsula" Top 5 Page for this destination Hel by evaanna
Hel Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 193 photos
Hel is an old fishing port at the tip of the Hel Peninsula - a narrow strip of land in northern Poland with Pucka Bay on one side and the Baltic Sea on the other. The first written records of the place date back to 1351. The peninsula has wonderful sandy beaches all along the sea coast and the bay is a great place for windsurfers and anglers. Between these two, there is a narrow strip of woodland, a railway line, a village from time to time and only one road leading from Wladyslawowo at the start to Hel at the end of the peninsula. As you go east you pass Chalupy, Kuznica, Jastarnia and the most touristy of those, Jurata, before you get to Hel. Crowded with tourists and their cars in the summer months, the peninsula can be a real haven in the low season - in June or September. Unfortunately, strong winds and storms make it less attractive in winter months.
Like all the places along the peninsula, Hel has wonderful spacious sandy beaches - you must cross the pinewoods to get to them as they are on the side opposite to the port. On the way, visit, and perhaps climb to the top of the lighthouse to see the great view.
- Pros:Spacious sandy beaches, the port running tourist cruises, some good restaurants, interesting shops with amber jewelry
- Cons:Very touristy in the summer, enormous traffic jams on the way there
- In a nutshell:An interesting place to visit
In the summer months - starting with mid-June till the end of August - Hel changes from a nice quiet seaside town to a... more travel advice
We saw this old boat tucked into the corner near the entrance at the port of Hel. It had all the marks of having been... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Hel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hel - the tip of the Hel Peninsula"
- "Sunday in Hel"
- "Hel Pennisula"
- "Hel, Poland"
- "To and from Hel Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hel
- Hotels in Hel
- Transportation in Hel
- Nightlife in Hel
- Restaurants in Hel
- Shopping in Hel
- Warnings and Dangers in Hel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hel
- 28 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Hel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hel
Photos in HelSee All Photos (100)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue