Telemark Things to Do Tips by evaanna Top 5 Page for this destination
Telemark Things to Do: 9 reviews and 20 photos
River rapids in Telemark
Driving west in Telemark we came across this place where two mountain rivers seem to meet - one shallow but wide with a large boulder in the middle, the other rushing down a series of man-made steps, both cutting across the rocky mountainsides. You can cross the wider river by footbridge and walk on to have a better look at the foaming waters of the other one. The place seems to be popular with tourists, which in Norway means just a few people strolling around, having a picnic on the benches or sunbathing on the rocks. I wish I knew what that place is called but the information board was in Norwegian only, so I will just have to give you the general directions. I hope some Norwegian VT-ers will help me give it a name.
Directions: Somewhere along the roads: 38, 45 or 9 before you come to Brokke
Ferry harbour on Lake Nisser
As our host at the cottage near Drongedal pointed out Lake Nisser is almost like a sea. 40 km long and 250 m deep, it is indeed enormous. Surrounded by rugged mountains partly overgrown by forest, and with some islands in the middle it opens up great views, which you can see even from road 41 as you drive along. When you pass Nissedal you will find a place called Sundsodden where you will see the signpost 'Brygge' . Turn left ( going from the direction of Treungen), drive ca 1 km down the forest road and you may be lucky enough to see and perhaps take a trip on the last cable ferry in Norway. It wasn't there when we arrived, but we could see it waiting for passengers on the shore opposite.
The link that my Norwegian friend Rusket gives on her Nisser page tells you that there is a village called Fjone there, where the ferrywoman owns a knitware shop and cafe. There are also some wide sandy beaches and ancient rock carvings and mounds in the forest there. It's a pity we didn't have time to explore them. Here I wish to thank Marit (VT member Rusket) for helping me identify the ferry. Apparently, there are more of them in the area.
Fares: car - 45 NOK, passenger - 5 NOK, bicycle - 15 NOK
Address: Sundsodden near Nissedal
Hoyjord Stavkirke and graveyard
We came across this interesting little church on our way across Vestfold. It wasn't even on our map, not being as decorative as a few other stave churches in Norway. But it has their characteristic silhouette and perfect proportions and is really ancient, dating from 1150 - 1275. Its chancel was built in the late 1100's while the nave at the end in the 1200's. Restored in 1948 - 1953, it will probably serve its purpose for many more centuries.
Directions: By road 306
More Reviews (3)
evaanna's Related Pages
Telemark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Across Vestfold and Telemark"
- "From mountains to archipelago"
- "Telemark Tour"
- "Telemark - a miniature of Norway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Telemark
- Hotels in Telemark
- Transportation in Telemark
- Nightlife in Telemark
- Restaurants in Telemark
- Shopping in Telemark
- Warnings and Dangers in Telemark
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Telemark
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Telemark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Telemark
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue