Telemark Things to Do Tips by evaanna Top 5 Page for this destination

Telemark Things to Do: 9 reviews and 20 photos

River rapids in Telemark - Telemark

River rapids in Telemark

River rapids in Telemark

Driving west in Telemark we came across this place where two mountain rivers seem to meet - one shallow but wide with a large boulder in the middle, the other rushing down a series of man-made steps, both cutting across the rocky mountainsides. You can cross the wider river by footbridge and walk on to have a better look at the foaming waters of the other one. The place seems to be popular with tourists, which in Norway means just a few people strolling around, having a picnic on the benches or sunbathing on the rocks. I wish I knew what that place is called but the information board was in Norwegian only, so I will just have to give you the general directions. I hope some Norwegian VT-ers will help me give it a name.

Directions: Somewhere along the roads: 38, 45 or 9 before you come to Brokke

• Updated Jan 5, 2007
Ferry harbour on Lake Nisser - Telemark

Ferry harbour on Lake Nisser

Lake Nisser

As our host at the cottage near Drongedal pointed out Lake Nisser is almost like a sea. 40 km long and 250 m deep, it is indeed enormous. Surrounded by rugged mountains partly overgrown by forest, and with some islands in the middle it opens up great views, which you can see even from road 41 as you drive along. When you pass Nissedal you will find a place called Sundsodden where you will see the signpost 'Brygge' . Turn left ( going from the direction of Treungen), drive ca 1 km down the forest road and you may be lucky enough to see and perhaps take a trip on the last cable ferry in Norway. It wasn't there when we arrived, but we could see it waiting for passengers on the shore opposite.
The link that my Norwegian friend Rusket gives on her Nisser page tells you that there is a village called Fjone there, where the ferrywoman owns a knitware shop and cafe. There are also some wide sandy beaches and ancient rock carvings and mounds in the forest there. It's a pity we didn't have time to explore them. Here I wish to thank Marit (VT member Rusket) for helping me identify the ferry. Apparently, there are more of them in the area.

Fares: car - 45 NOK, passenger - 5 NOK, bicycle - 15 NOK

Address: Sundsodden near Nissedal

• Updated Jun 17, 2006
Hoyjord Stavkirke and graveyard - Telemark

Hoyjord Stavkirke and graveyard

Hoyjord Stavkirke

We came across this interesting little church on our way across Vestfold. It wasn't even on our map, not being as decorative as a few other stave churches in Norway. But it has their characteristic silhouette and perfect proportions and is really ancient, dating from 1150 - 1275. Its chancel was built in the late 1100's while the nave at the end in the 1200's. Restored in 1948 - 1953, it will probably serve its purpose for many more centuries.

Address: Hoyjord

Directions: By road 306

• Written Jun 16, 2006

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Telemark

Have you been to Telemark?

Latest Activity in Telemark