"The Old Kashubian Farm at Nadole" Nadole by evaanna

Nadole Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 23 photos

Nadole is a small village north-west of Gdansk situated on Lake Zarnowieckie. From Krokowa you must go west, perhaps visit the beautiful monastery at Zarnowiec on the way and then encircle the lake from the north to get to Nadole. The place is best known for the Old Kashubian Farm (Zagroda Gburska), which is part of the Museum at Puck.
It was a rainy day in early April when we arrived there so many of the photographs had to be taken from under my umbrella. I think the place must be much more picturesque later in the season and with the sun shining. But I still thought it was interesting and, as we were the only visitors there, we could enjoy the peace of the old farm and take our time exploring the buildings.
Although after the partitions of Poland in the 18th century Nadole became part of Prussia, culturally it has always been close to Poland. This was largely due to the activity of the convent in Zarnowiec, which promoted Polish publications, took care of religious education, organised patriotic meetings for the local people. Under the Treaty of Versailles in 1920 Nadole was to become part of Germany but a plebiscite conducted among the local people by Augustyn Struk, Augustyn Konkol and Antoni Abraham decided about its being incorporated into Poland. Thus Nadole became a Polish island on the western banks of Lake Zarnowieckie.
The traditional Kashubian farm in the centre of Nadole that we can visit today once belonged to the Rutz family. Now part of the Museum at Puck, it was turned into an open air folk museum as a result of the efforts of the local authorities, institutions and industrial plants. It shows the traditions and daily life of this Kashubian community preserved in the midst of the ever-changing village.

Opening hours:
September - June: Monday - closed
Tuesday - Sunday - 9.00-15.30
July - August: daily - 9.00-17.00

Entrance fee: 4 PLN

Tel. (058) 676 76 44

In writing this page I have used information from the booklet by ethnographer Teresa Lasowa, 'Zagroda gburska w Nadolu' Przewodnik, published by Muzeum Ziemi Puckiej im. Floriana Ceynowy.
Unfortunately, we only saw the Polish version of this publication.

• Last visit to Nadole: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2007

• amsor's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM

That is a very nice farm !

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2009 at 7:31 AM

This Kashubian Farm Open Air Museum reminds me so much of the Belgium museum in Genk. Love the colourful carved beehives.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Superb farmhouse indeed! I had never seen such fancy beehives like the one you show!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM

I really enjoyed this step back into the past! Amazing to think how self-sufficient people were then compared to we 'city slickers'!! Your photos and descriptions are excellent and I'm always a sucker for quaint buildings like the stable.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 5:39 AM

The mere thought of duck's blood turned my stomach. Other than that it was a most interesting tour, and as usual your photos are great. .

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 11:01 AM

The family dish of duck blood soup sounds yummy, plenty of protein.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Nice to return to the old ways of life = I did try weaving in my college days it was tedious but fun too!

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Nadole