"Suwalszczyzna - the north-eastern corner of Poland" Suwalki by evaanna
Suwalki Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 180 photos
This page is not only about Suwalki (pronounced souvowkey), a town in north-eastern Poland, but the whole region, called Suwalszczyzna, the Suwalki Lake District, abounding in lakes, forests, morainal hills, whole fields of boulders and stones, all of them being the remainder of glacial activity here thousands of years ago. The fields are sometimes so steep that there have been cases of tractors overturning on their slopes. It's a little known region of Poland, a gem waiting to be discovered by tourists from abroad.
The first time we stayed there we found accommodation on a farm near Rutka-Tartak. There was a small lake nearby with banks overgrown by reeds so you could only get to it walking on the unsteady pier. All around were hilly fields and hardly any forest. As there was not much to do within walking distance, apart from feeding the farmer's goats and sampling the landlady's delicious cooking, we went on sightseeing trips every day, not that it was easy. The bumpy local gravel roads did not encourage driving but once you got onto the asphalt, you could visit many interesting places, which I will describe in my tips.
We revisited the area in 2007, 2008 and in August and then September 2009, staying at a house that a friend of ours had built there since so I have been able to add many new tips. The roads have greatly improved since our first stay and, with little traffic, can be a biker's paradise, if a little hilly at places. We were now able to spend hours on our enormous verandah, watching animals like deer coming near and even had some visitors on the verandah itself: large grasshoppers, frogs, lizards, swallows flying to and fro. Just watching them was pure pleasure, enhanced by the sounds of the Chinese bells on our verandah swinging in the wind. We were also able to visit Vilnius twice, a tiring trip of over 400 km both ways but worthwhile all the same. And this year (2009) we did even more sightseeing in Lithuania.
The shop at the Museum of Lithuanian Folk Art is certainly worth visiting. They sell all kinds of local craft - wood... more travel advice
We came upon this fair purely by chance, having stopped in Suwalki on our way from Warsaw with the intention of having... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Suwalki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Suwalszczyzna - the north-eastern corner of Poland"
- "Suwalki - Off The Beaten Track By Nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suwalki
- Hotels in Suwalki
- Nightlife in Suwalki
- Restaurants in Suwalki
- Shopping in Suwalki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suwalki
- 34 Reviews
- 174 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Suwalki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suwalki
Photos in SuwalkiSee All Photos (174)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 104 reviews, 352 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue