"All around me" Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw by evaanna

Warsaw Travel Guide: 3,045 reviews and 7,426 photos

Born and bred in Warsaw, I find it hard to see it with the eyes of a tourist. When I joined VT I tried to find some photographs of my city in our albums and, apart from the view from my window, which had changed since, and for the worse, I only had five. When Adi (adin) was here in 2004, he took us around the Jewish Cemetery, where I took some pictures and added them to my page. For the first time we had a guide there and what a guide! He could and was willing to answer all our questions. Later, one morning I went straight from my classes for a walk along Krakowskie Przedmiescie and the Old Town. You are now welcome to join me there. Since then I have been adding to my pages regularly whenever I found myself near something interesting. In March 2007 we went for a drive to see some places that are less known to tourists, like the wonderful Powazki Cemetery or the little Krolikarnia Palace and park in the Mokotow District. We also finally went to take photographs of the Monument to the Heroes of the Ghetto and Umschlagplatz, which are a long way from where we live. On our way we passed the very centre of Warsaw with its numerous skyscrapers and a lot of new elegant architecture but we didn't stop - most cities have those and you can't fail to see them while you are here. I have decided to concentrate on my pages on Warsaw's more or less hidden gems, remnants of Warsaw's glorious past, many of them carefully reconstructed from ruins after WWII.

Unfortunately, our peregrinations have made me realise writing about my city is going to be an endless task, never to be completed. There is so much to do and see here. And the city is changing all the time. But it is a great experience to re-discover the places you thought you knew well or just took for granted never bothering to explore them now that you want to write about them.

Some of the tips on this page have been written in response to your questions, which helped me see the problems that tourists face here. More questions will be welcome, although I can't promise to answer them all.

• Intro Updated May 16, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Again it has been nearly four years since I last looked at your lovely Warsaw page. Good that you keep adding updates and new tips.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Thank you, Don. Wish I could add more but, now that we have moved, we cannot afford Warsaw hotels

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2015 at 6:53 AM

Ewa Anna! Thanks for your comprehensive page about Warsaw and for your amazing photographs and advice!...\_(?)_/

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:01 AM

You are welcome! Don't miss the Museum of the Warsaw Uprising and the new Museum of the History of Polish Jews. I haven't visited them yet.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2015 at 5:18 AM

Lovely page, I lived in Lebork for a few months and visited Warsaw briefly, but I can see from your page that I missed so much. Good excuse to revisit some day. All the best, Irene

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:59 AM

Thank you, Irene. I'm afraid Warsaw has been changing in recent years, and not always for the better. I don't much like the new skyscrapers, the dreadful traffic jams or the number of malls which have changed the character of so many areas. But these changes apply to most other cities too and cannot be helped. Yet, you can still enjoy the historical part of Warsaw. Wish I could show you around my hometown but I rarely go there now that we have moved to Gdynia.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I can?t believe it has been nearly four years since I last looked at this page. You have done lots of updates since then. I?m glad the Royal Castle and the Old Town were re-built after the wartime destruction. But it?s too bad the Tepper's Palace was not re-built, the place where Napoleon Bonaparte met Maria Walewska.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I see you have been busy during your recent trip to Warsaw. Alan

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Lovely pictures in the new travelogue, Ewa.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Using your tips for my trip planner!

• penny_g's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Dear Eva Anna, you have the best chance to live in a wonderful city. I was much more touched by Warsaw than by Prague. I wanted to ask you to have a look at my Warsaw album and tell me what those places are. Thank you

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2010 at 8:38 PM

So many young people do not know about the state of Europe in the 1940's. Your info is important.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2010 at 1:31 AM

More beautiful buildings and statues! Love the student on the bench, they are great fun to have a photo taken with. I would have to try some of your Polish Gingerbread, sounds rather nice!

evaanna Used To Live Here!

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Warsaw