"Vilnius - my grandparents' love" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius by evaanna

Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,723 reviews and 3,529 photos

I have been thinking of visiting Vilnius for a long time. I remember my grandparents speaking of it with love: my grandmother had spent a lot of time there as a child. Having lost her father at the age of nine, she was often invited to Vilnius by her godmother, who by this was trying to help her anguished mother with the upbringing of her two daughters. Before WWII my grandparents visited Vilnius a number of times, the last time with their three children, including the youngest - my mother. But the godmother must have passed away by then - they went there on a night train and returned to Warsaw the following night. So I knew Vilnius from stories told in my family and went there with great expectations. I was also trying to check the theory of genetic memory - if my grandmother spent so much time there, will I experience the feeling of deja vu? To my great disappointment, I didn't, not the first time we went there anyway. We even got lost a few times and had to ask the way. Although I did take to a few places at first glance, like the Franciscan Church that we saw first when we arrived there. And perhaps we didn't see enough in the five hours we had there?

The city itself was not disappointing at all. There was so much to see that making the choices what to see in the short time was the only problem.
Yet I suspect my grandmother's Vilnius was a more beautiful place. Years of neglect and in some cases even deliberate destruction under the Soviet rule have left an indelible mark on the wonderful architecture and it is only now that many of the historic buildings are being restored, while some are still awaiting their turn.
Vilnius (in Polish Wilno) will always be close to the hearts of many Polish people, having shared so much history with us. United with Poland in 1385 following the marriage of the Polish Queen Jadwiga to the Grand Duke of Lithuania Jogaila (later King Wladyslaw Jagiello), Lithuania remained in that union until 1795 when it was annexed by Tsarist Russia. In the 19th century Vilnius was the centre of patriotic movement aiming at regaining independence from Russia. Many members of patriotic organisations were then imprisoned and, following the 1831 and 1863 uprisings, hanged or deported to Siberia. One of the spiritual leaders of the rebelling youth was the Polish national bard Adam Mickiewicz, who was a student of the University of Vilnius at the time.
Occupied by the Germans in 1915-1918, when the war was over Vilnius turned into an area of contention, which led to establishing Central Lithuania, which in turn, following the bill passed by its parliament, became part of Poland.
On September 19, 1939, after breaking up the resistance of the local people, Vilnius was occupied by Soviet troops. 14 July 1940 marks the start of mass deportations to Siberia, which for many of the 35 thousand, mainly Polish, inhabitants of the Vilnius area meant the sentence of death.

On 22 June 1940 Vilnius was bombed and then occupied by the Germans. In 1941 100 thousand of its inhabitants were executed, most of them of Jewish origin but also 20 thousand Poles.
In July 1944 the city was liberated by the Polish Home Army and the Red Army. But the joy of liberation was short-lived: a few days later the Soviets arrested all Polish officers and soldiers and turned Lithuania together with Vilnius into one of their republics. Most of its Polish population were re-settled, being replaced by Russians and Lithuanians.
1988 marks the establishing of the Lithuanian organisation Sajudis, whose aim was to gain independence for Lithuania. In January 1991 the struggle led to clashes with the military at the TV tower, where 17 people of the opposition were killed and 600 injured. Not in vain though - on 17 September of that year Vilnius became the capital of independent Lithuania.
And even if it was to take years to recover from all the damage inflicted by the occupant the process of restoration could now begin.
Last year we returned to Vilnius for a day, visiting some places we had not seen before. And this time I really fell in love with the city, just as my grandparents had done before me.

• Last visit to Vilnius: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 2, 2009

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Re-visit your excellent Vilnius travel page since we are travelling to Vilnius towards the end of next month. Did not realise Vilnius has so much to see and do until after reading your reviews. We will not miss those cathedrals and churches and other attractions that you mentioned on your Vilnius travel page. We will read your reviews again on the eve of our trip to Vilnius. ~ho & pang

• evaanna's Profile Photo
      Sep 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Yes, three nights should be enough but be prepared for a lot of walking. Have a great time in Vilnius!

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hi again Ewa, Thanks for your advice and thanks for your excellent virtual tour of the city. ~ho & pang

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM

So sad reading about all the people who lost their lives here! I think this is the most Churches I have read about in one city, and so many denominations. My favorite would be the gothic styled st. Anns. Interesting to read what the city is like now.

• Jan 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I am licking these foto. Inspirings, yes. Intending to be marry beautiful sweet most lovely lady name Svetlana from Chernobyl. WE needs agree on designs of nickle padlock with tungsten tumblers. Your foto inspire me for seizing day

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 4:21 AM

Vilnius has risen above its sad history and looks to be a wonderful town to visit with so many beautiful churches in many religious denominations. The Basilian Gates are especially attractive. Thanks for the virtual tour Ewa.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Horrendous history but what an amazing feat to have won independence through!Xlnt write up and still hoping I will visit here. either next mth for snow/brrr visit or during may/june when over for the euromeet!including more of Poland and Gdansk!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM

This town looks like a great place with much history, and in spite of its wars/tragedies, it still is a proud part of the country. You did an excellent job of presenting the information

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM

The language is confusing I work with a boy in school from Lithuanaia :} he is much quicker than me = nice to see some updates!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Loved the bronze sign outside restaurant...winding streets...restoration in progress...angel... all wonderful. I get a kick out of some of your comments.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Vilnius certainly has lots of wonderful tourist attractions such as the charm and elegance of the castle and palace, the lovely churches and cathedral, interesting squares, gates and synagogue. ~ho & pang

• Dester's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Totally awesome page. I cant stop laughing at the toilet story though .

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Vilnius

Have you been to Vilnius?

Latest Activity in Vilnius