"No place like Banbury" Top 5 Page for this destination Banbury by evaanna
Banbury Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 215 photos
Banbury is a charming old market town situated in the eastern part of the beautiful Cotswolds. The town probably takes its name from 'Banna', a Saxon man who is believed to have built a stockade near the town in the fifth century, which by the time of William the Conqueror was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Once Banbury even had its own Castle built in 1135 by Alexander, Bishop of Lincoln. Besieged a few times during the English Civil War, it was later pulled down and the stone used to repair war damage to the other buildings in the town.
In the 13th century Banbury was already a thriving wool trading centre, which greatly contributed to the wealth of its citizens. A fire ravaged the town in 1628, destroying many buildings, yet some have survived to this day.
The town's development was enhanced by the construction of James Brindley's Oxford Canal in 1790, connecting it with the Midlands and, later, of the railway line. Nowadays, Banbury has a direct connection with London and Birmingham by the M40 motorway, which makes transport and travel in the area much easier.
Banbury is also an industrial town, with Alcoa (aluminium products) and Kraft Jacobs Suchard having their factories here. The pleasant smell of coffee in my bedroom at night came from the latter. And to think that they make my favourite custard there as well!
Banbury is the perfect starting point for trips to the picturesque Cotswold villages, with their wonderful thatched honey-coloured stone cottages. Very close to it stands Broughton Castle, the home of the Fiennes family, which deserves a separate page. The famous Neolithic stone circle, The Rollright Stones, is only a short drive away. Banbury's famous neighbours include Warwick with its magnificent Castle, Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon and, just a 20-minute train journey away, Oxford. Visit the charming Cotswold pubs, with their local cuisine and beautiful country decor or go to a local fete, with Morris dancing and falconry shows. In fact, there are so many opportunities for entertainment in or near the town that I can't list them all. You will never get bored in Banbury.
Car boot sales abound around Banbury. The idea of such a sale is simple: if your house gets cramped with all the things... more travel advice
Banbury, with its many pubs to choose from, is an ideal place for a pub crawl, if you like that sort of thing. But, as... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Banbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "No place like Banbury"
- "Market town of Banbury"
- "Broughton Castle - Close to Banbury"
- "Older than the nursery rhyme"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banbury
- Hotels in Banbury
- Transportation in Banbury
- Nightlife in Banbury
- Restaurants in Banbury
- Shopping in Banbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banbury
- 15 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Banbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banbury
Photos in BanburySee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (91)
Latest Banbury hotel reviews
- Hanwell House
- 241 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013