"A glimpse of Barry" Top 5 Page for this destination Barry by evaanna

Barry Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 260 photos

Barry is a seaside resort near Cardiff. I visited it for a few minutes only as my friend's daughter, who had brought us in the car from Cardiff, had to go to work and I still wanted to see a little of Cardiff before I left for Banbury in the afternoon. I was going back to Poland the next day. As it was another hot day I thought it would be very nice to feel the sea breeze. And I wasn't disappointed.
Barry is a lovely place with beaches and promontories cutting into the sea, which invite walks. And the place must look really lovely when there is no drought - in my pictures the normally green lawns are grey, only some exotic plants seem to be flourishing but perhaps they have been watered regularly. Next to the main sandy beach on Whitmore Bay there is a funfair with over 50 rides and attractions for children and adults alike. The entrance is free, you pay for the rides as you go. There are also amusement arcades all along the seafront area, with games of skill and various video games.
I think I might be interested to see the Quasar Centre with 'a high tech paintball style experience', whatever that might mean. I've seen pictures of Whitmore Bay on the Internet with crowds of people but when we were there it looked quite deserted. Perhaps they had all gone to the fairground area to enjoy the rides.... The old-fashioned beach and swimming are no longer enough.

• Last visit to Barry: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2008

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2010 at 1:06 PM

The Pebble Beach looks lovely, but must be hard to walk on. I much prefer sandy beaches.

• Aug 24, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Nice tips

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Haha, The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and sand is always warmer on the other side of the channel!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Thanks for the brief glimpse of Barry. Looks like just the place to get away from the crowds.

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 6:43 PM

Checking myself for exotic plants. Barry in Louisiana (disaster area) hehe!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Ewa, you've hit it about right - the Atlantic coast (on both its sides) is too unpredicable for fine weather on the beaches! On my last trip to England, I looked across the Bristol Channel and could see see Wales (and imagine Barry) off in the distance.

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 8:13 AM

I spent hours on the Knapp pebbles. I was sitting frying myself to death covered in olive oil to get a good sun tan all 55years ago..LOL

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Great town, great name:) My girlfriend's parents live here but haven't had a chance to visit yet. Hopefully on a hot day this summer.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Beautiful beaches, both sad and pebble. Good introduction and enlightening insights.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Nice to see empty sandy beach on a hot July day!

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Barry