"Broadway, UK" Top 5 Page for this destination Broadway by evaanna
Broadway Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 153 photos
When you hear the name 'Broadway' the first thing that comes to your mind is the street in Manhattan, New York, famous for its theatres and synonymous with show business. The original Broadway in the English Cotswolds is just a village with a row of honey-coloured cottages of local stone, housing elegant and expensive shops, galleries, restaurants. It's a lively place full of tourists strolling along admiring the charming little houses, some thatched, others with slated roofs but all elegant and very well maintained. With all kinds of creepers decorating their facades and the pretty decorative shop signs, they all look so lovely and so quaint.
What Broadway has in common with its American namesake is the meaning of its name - a wide street and Broadway is just that: its High Street is its centre and there is not much more. The spaciousness of the street was essential at the time when Broadway was an important coaching stop on the main route between London and Worcester. The coach journey took 17 hours on the average so a stop for a meal and change of horses was necessary on the way. Just past Broadway there is a steep climb up Fish Hill onto the Cotswold escarpment, which only fully rested horses could negotiate. So at that time the village had 33 pubs and so it thrived until the coming of the railway in 1904. Then, all of a sudden, the coaching business stopped, the village lost its main income and became quiet and deserted. Not for long though. It was soon discovered by William Morris and his artistic friends and this picturesque rural spot became fashionable in their circles. Soon it became so frequented by famous artists that they had to rent space for their easels. We didn't see any artists when we were there, perhaps because of the heat, but the village deserves the name of an artists' Mecca. See for yourselves....
Getting to Broadway without a car may be quite a problem. Until 1960 Broadway had rail coming to it but the good times... more travel advice
The High Street is the main street of Broadway and practically the only one that really counts. It starts below the... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Broadway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Broadway, Gem of the Cotswolds"
- "Broadway, UK"
- "Broadway. A gem in the Cotswolds"
- "Broadway - maybe Cotswolds"
- "The Cotswolds"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broadway
- Hotels in Broadway
- Transportation in Broadway
- Nightlife in Broadway
- Restaurants in Broadway
- Shopping in Broadway
- Warnings and Dangers in Broadway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Broadway
- 11 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Broadway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broadway
Photos in BroadwaySee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 104 reviews, 352 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue