"Hook Norton and more of the Cotswolds" Hook Norton by evaanna
Hook Norton Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 11 photos
Hook Norton, known locally as Hooky, is a village in North Oxfordshire on the edge of the Cotswolds best known for its old Victorian brewery, which not only supplies beer to most of the countless pubs in the area but also owns some of the pubs, like Ye Olde Reindeer Inn in Banbury and the Castle Inn at Edgehill (see my Banbury page). Perhaps the gargoyle on the local church was modelled after one of its best customers, making faces and finding it hard to keep his balance after too many pints. This cannot be true though: the church is much older than the brewery.
Most houses in the village are built from the dark golden-coloured Hornton stone. Hook Norton has three pubs, a pottery and a manor that once used to be the home of the d'Oilly family. The Manor gardens are said to be very beautiful but are open to the public only once a year. The village once had some ironstone quarries, which, however, had to be abandoned on the liquidation of the railway that used to transport their product.
Not far from Hook Norton is the charming village of Great Tew, with its lovely thatched cottages, often referred to as a 'picture book' village.
As it is not to be found on the vt current list of places, it will be included here.
Chipping Norton has been a market town for centuries. Its fairs and markets gave the town its name, as 'chipping' means... more travel advice
Great Tew is a tiny village created partly by the landscape gardener John Loudon, the manager of the estate from 1809 to... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Hook Norton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Hook Norton
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Hook Norton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hook Norton
Photos in Hook NortonSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 104 reviews, 352 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue