Oxford Transportation Tips by evaanna Top 5 Page for this destination
Oxford Transportation: 59 reviews and 38 photos
If you have little time for sightseeing in Oxford and know little about the town itself, this bus service is for you. The tour starts at the Oxford Railway Station and will take you around most of the main tourist attractions. It lasts just an hour but you can hop on and off to explore the most interesting places - the ticket is valid for 24 hours. Probably the best thing about it is the live English guide or multi-lingual commentary in many languages. In addition, on producing your ticket, you can get discounts at some major tourist attractions.
But if you are not in a hurry and want to see as much as possible, you might as well walk, which doesn't cost anything - Oxford is not big, and you won't have to spend any time waiting for the buses, which arrive every 15-20 minutes.
Tour prices: Adult - 9.50 GBP, child under 16 - 4.50 GBP, OAP/student - 8.50 GBP, child under 5 - free
The centre of Oxford is closed to private cars, only buses and taxis are allowed for instance in the High St. Those cars that venture anywhere near the centre risk being unable to park and standing in enormous traffic jams in, for example, Abingdon Rd. There are no car parks even near the Bus Station: my friends would just drop me off there with my suitcase when I was leaving for Heathrow and couldn't stop long enough to wave me goodbye.
Oxford is not big - you can visit all the major colleges and other places of interest just walking. Reaching Oxford is easy as well - trains and buses stopping here are frequent and go from various parts of England. What you shouldn't do then is come here in your own car. And if you do, you'd better leave it in one of the five big car parks by the ring-road and take a bus to the centre. The system 'Park and Ride' works extremely well - the buses are frequent and not too crowded. Use it and spare the city some fumes, its beautiful ancient listed buildings will only be grateful.
More Reviews (42)
- See All Looking for an English book? You will...
- See All Great Jewry in medieval Oxford
- See All Cherub on the wall
- See All Relax in the heart of Oxford
evaanna's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxford Stories"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "The Gown Town"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ko Phaluai Hotels
- Arlington Hotels
- Zihuatanejo Hotels
- Homagama Hotels
- York Village
- Nevada City
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 44 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: Distance & Time "
- Commented on one of King_Golo's Oxford travel pages
- updated a Oxford Travel Page "Oxford Stories"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Relax in the heart of Oxford"
- Wrote a Review Looking for an English book? You will find it here about Bodleian Library in Oxford Things to Do
Photos in OxfordSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Oxford hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Oxford
- 386 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Richmond Hotel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Travelodge Oxford Peartree Hotel
- 435 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Macdonald Randolph Hotel
- 1097 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Oxford Spires Four Pillars
- 570 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Happy Lodge
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Remont Oxford Hotel
- 333 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Old Parsonage Hotel
- 305 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Cotswold House
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Casa Villa Guest House
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2009
- Barcelo Oxford
- 465 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Oxford Backpackers Hostel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- The Oxford Hotel
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Royal Oxford Hotel
- 279 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Oxford University & Colleges- 84 Reviews, 194 Photos
- Christ Church- 29 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Punting- 16 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Bridge of Sighs- 15 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Radcliffe Camera- 16 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Sheldonian Theatre- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Magdalen College- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Bodleian Library- 16 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Museums- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
- High Street- 5 Reviews, 13 Photos
See All Oxford Things to Do