Oxford Restaurant Tips by evaanna Top 5 Page for this destination
Oxford Restaurants: 115 reviews and 124 photos
Barbara in Garden Coffee Shop at St Mary's
This coffee house is situated in the vaults and garden of the University Church of St. Mary. The historic vaults themselves date back to 1320 and in the past housed the University's first administrative centre. Now this coffee shop is a lively place, full of tourists and locals, reclining in the shade of the church in the splendid surroundings of the ancient university buildings.
For Barbara and me, tired after hours of sightseeing in the stifling heat of a July day, St. Mary's garden provided the much needed respite where we could not only stretch our legs but also watch Oxford life, sipping drinks and enjoying our cakes. And it was only now that we could exchange our news and really enjoy each other's company after the long three years when we had communicated by e-mail only.
Favorite Dish: The coffee shop specialises in organic food, freshly squeezed juice, organic wines and beers. You can have just refreshments or full lunch. My friend had iced tea, very refreshing, with orange cake; I enjoyed my walnut and coffee cake with organic ginger beer, which I had never tried before.
Address: St. Mary's, Radcliffe Square
Comparison: less expensive than average
Price: less than US$10
The Fox, Oxford
This pub is the perfect place to be in on a hot day. Its thick stone walls keep the sun out and the uneven beaming inside gives a lot of charm to the rooms. If, on the other hand, you like the sunshine, you have the choice of their beautiful garden. The service is good and helpful.
Favorite Dish: I have only been there once, so I cannot say. There were so many things on the menu it was hard to decide, so I am not sure if my choice was right. Anyway, their menu includes most of the traditional English dishes, my favourite here being pear crumble, and some dishes invented by the chef.
Address: Boars Hill, Oxford OX1 5DR
Comparison: about average
Directions: South-west of Oxford, about 1 mile from the junction of the A34 with the A423 along the road to Wootton
Phone: 01865 735 131
More Reviews (42)
- See All Looking for an English book? You will...
- See All Great Jewry in medieval Oxford
- See All Hop on and off
- See All Cherub on the wall
evaanna's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxford Stories"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "The Gown Town"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Explore the World
- Snipe Island Hotels
- Ipplepen Hotels
- Cookstown Hotels
- Orebic Hotels
- Marble Canyon
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 44 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: Distance & Time "
- Commented on one of King_Golo's Oxford travel pages
- updated a Oxford Travel Page "Oxford Stories"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Relax in the heart of Oxford"
- Wrote a Review Looking for an English book? You will find it here about Bodleian Library in Oxford Things to Do
Photos in OxfordSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Oxford hotel reviews
- Nanford Guest House
- 310 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Richmond Hotel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Foxcombe Lodge Hotel
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2013
- Malmaison Oxford
- 1256 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Oxford Spires Four Pillars
- 572 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Happy Lodge
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Barcelo Oxford
- 467 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Old Parsonage Hotel
- 305 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Royal Oxford Hotel
- 279 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Casa Villa Guest House
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2009
- The Oxford Hotel
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Oxford Backpackers Hostel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Remont Oxford Hotel
- 333 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Cotswold House
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Oxford University & Colleges- 84 Reviews, 194 Photos
- Christ Church- 29 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Punting- 16 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Bridge of Sighs- 15 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Radcliffe Camera- 16 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Bodleian Library- 16 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Sheldonian Theatre- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Magdalen College- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Museums- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
- High Street- 5 Reviews, 13 Photos
See All Oxford Things to Do