"Oxford Stories" Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford by evaanna
Oxford Travel Guide: 970 reviews and 2,057 photos
I went to Oxford for the first time in 1977 with my language school day trip from London but I already knew I would have to come back there like the ghosts in some of the Oxford colleges. And I did. Many years later Barbara, an English friend I had met on that course and had kept in touch with ever since, moved to Oxford. She needed someone to water her houseplants while they went on holiday and I jumped at the opportunity. So I stayed in Oxford for a fortnight in 2000 and for three weeks in 2003. I had plenty of time to get to know that beautiful place and take a few trips to the Cotswolds, Worcester with its cathedral and the famous chinaware factory and even as far as Windsor, which I hadn't seen before. Unfortunately, I only had a camera during my last stay and I wasn't a VTer yet. So I simply had to go back there to take more photos. And in the summer of 2006 I was able to visit it again, if for one hot busy day only. This time Barbara drove me to most of the places I wanted to take a photo of. I wouldn't have managed to do that in just a few hours without her help.
Oxford itself is a lovely place steeped in history, where every building and every detail can tell you a story, often starting in mediaeval times. I will try to re-tell as many of those stories as I can for you. There are so many things to see there you just don't know where to start. The town has been described by a number of VT travellers so I am going to concentrate on what I liked best and some things you may not have heard of if you stayed there for just a day.
All the photographs on my Oxford pages are my own and must not be reproduced without permission.
- Pros:Great architecture, beautiful gardens, the atmosphere of a university town,
- Cons:Crowds of tourists in the centre, a lot of traffic, pickpockets
- In a nutshell:An unforgettable experience
Part of the Bodleian Library, the Divinity School is the oldest university building, built in 1420-83 specially for... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxford Stories"
- "The Gown Town"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 44 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
- Posted in Travel Bristol Forum "Re: Bristol Cathedral and St Mary..."
- Commented on one of King_Golo's Oxford travel pages
- updated a Oxford Travel Page "Oxford Stories"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Relax in the heart of Oxford"
- Wrote a Review Looking for an English book? You will find it here about Bodleian Library in Oxford Things to Do
Photos in OxfordSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue