"Oxford Stories" Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford by evaanna

Oxford Travel Guide: 969 reviews and 2,057 photos

I went to Oxford for the first time in 1977 with my language school day trip from London but I already knew I would have to come back there like the ghosts in some of the Oxford colleges. And I did. Many years later Barbara, an English friend I had met on that course and had kept in touch with ever since, moved to Oxford. She needed someone to water her houseplants while they went on holiday and I jumped at the opportunity. So I stayed in Oxford for a fortnight in 2000 and for three weeks in 2003. I had plenty of time to get to know that beautiful place and take a few trips to the Cotswolds, Worcester with its cathedral and the famous chinaware factory and even as far as Windsor, which I hadn't seen before. Unfortunately, I only had a camera during my last stay and I wasn't a VTer yet. So I simply had to go back there to take more photos. And in the summer of 2006 I was able to visit it again, if for one hot busy day only. This time Barbara drove me to most of the places I wanted to take a photo of. I wouldn't have managed to do that in just a few hours without her help.
Oxford itself is a lovely place steeped in history, where every building and every detail can tell you a story, often starting in mediaeval times. I will try to re-tell as many of those stories as I can for you. There are so many things to see there you just don't know where to start. The town has been described by a number of VT travellers so I am going to concentrate on what I liked best and some things you may not have heard of if you stayed there for just a day.

All the photographs on my Oxford pages are my own and must not be reproduced without permission.

• Pros:Great architecture, beautiful gardens, the atmosphere of a university town,
  • Cons:Crowds of tourists in the centre, a lot of traffic, pickpockets
  • In a nutshell:An unforgettable experience
  • Last visit to Oxford: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 28, 2009

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Hi Ewa, wonderful page! I will visit Oxford in February and am so much looking forward to it :-) I have saved your tip about Alice's Shop!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Hey Ewa, great pages about Oxford! I've lived here for half a year now and have never spotted the ox in front of Said Business School.... Weird!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 3:56 AM

Wow Ewa, you have built an excellent page here on Oxford. I had no idea the campus was so HUGE. So many wonderful buildings and so much history here. The Bridge of Sighs is esp beautiful. How nice it would be to spend an afternoon punting of the Cherwell.

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM

HeHe Ewa - the Oxford tourist board should hire you as their number 1 copywriter! You really make the place live. Cheers, John.

• Aug 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Famous city in United Kingdom

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Superb Oxford page! The various colleges indeed look beautiful with their architectural buildings and gardens. The Ox of Oxford, Martyr's Memorial, Christ Church and Oxford Castle certainly look awesome. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Me again, coming back to look at the many updates & new tips that you have added to this fine page since May 7, 2006. I think it would be great to watch a Shakespeare play in the garden of New College -- "new" meaning 185 years before Shakespeare's birth!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Oh fantastic, Ewa :-))This Brasenose ceiling is awesome and the door knocker as well. Oh and all the other beautiful sights and details. Do you know the Inspector Morse & Lewis books? We have them as TV series now :-)

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2008 at 5:46 AM

lovely tips & memories of your time here thanks for sharing :-)

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Some great tips on a fantastic city I live near to but have never even visited! I must make the visit in the summer. Thanks for your expertise!

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Oxford