"The Rollright Stones" Rollright Stones by evaanna
Rollright Stones Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos
The Rollright Stones are two groups of ancient, from early Neolithic to late Megalithic, stones and a single megalith standing nearby. Their origins and past are shrouded in mystery and, as always when we cannot explain something, legends created by us try to make up for our ignorance. One of them claims that the stones were once real people - a king and his knights turned into stone by a witch, who herself turned into an elder tree in the hedge nearby to look over them. I will relate this story in a general tip but it has been scientifically proven that each of the groups and the single stone come from different periods and have a history of their own. That is why they should be described separately: the Rollright Stone Circle also called the King's Men, the Whispering Knights and the King Stone.
- Pros:Stunning evidence of human activity in ancient past
- Cons:Difficult to find one's way to them
- In a nutshell:Great unsolved mystery right before your eyes
Legend has it that the stones of the Rollright Stone Circle were once real people, an army led by a king, now the King... more travel advice
The King Stone stands on a hill right across the road from the King's Men and is 2.6 m high and probably a thousand... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Rollright Stones Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Rollright Stones"
- "The Rollright Stones"
- "The Rollright stones - Mayday/Beltaine 2006"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rollright Stones
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Rollright Stones?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rollright Stones
Photos in Rollright StonesSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue