"The Rollright Stones" Rollright Stones by evaanna

Rollright Stones Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos

The Rollright Stones are two groups of ancient, from early Neolithic to late Megalithic, stones and a single megalith standing nearby. Their origins and past are shrouded in mystery and, as always when we cannot explain something, legends created by us try to make up for our ignorance. One of them claims that the stones were once real people - a king and his knights turned into stone by a witch, who herself turned into an elder tree in the hedge nearby to look over them. I will relate this story in a general tip but it has been scientifically proven that each of the groups and the single stone come from different periods and have a history of their own. That is why they should be described separately: the Rollright Stone Circle also called the King's Men, the Whispering Knights and the King Stone.

• Pros:Stunning evidence of human activity in ancient past
  • Cons:Difficult to find one's way to them
  • In a nutshell:Great unsolved mystery right before your eyes
  • Last visit to Rollright Stones: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2009

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I love places like this. The stories or ancient legends are wonderful. Thanks for the lovley tour of them Ewa! Neat page!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 3:11 AM

Interesting little page on the Rollright Stones. I wonder if the Rolling Stones have ever visited this site!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I'd forgotten about the Rollright Stones - one of the many ancient place in thsi apart of Engnad - thanks for the trip down memory lane. leyle

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Places difficult to find are a reward by themselves! I love standing stones! I wonder why dog are not allowed. It seems like it was still considered as a holy place?!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Marvelous. I love the legend information. It's so like the myths of the Greeks and Romans. Such fantastic imaginations. Beautiful photos and star-worthy tips. I sure agree with rules of not defacing such important antiquity.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 1:14 PM

"Seven long strides shalt thou take/And if Long Compton thou canst see/King of England thou shalt be." I had never heard of this fascinating place before; just looked it up on the map to see where it is. Oh, and thanks for your visit to my Frankfurt page.

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 2:28 AM

I will definitely be looking up the story...thank you for the journey around these ancient ruins. Thank you also for the visit to my vatican page. My friend (an Italian) was with me so the right queue not a problem. Yes I did.

• LauraWest's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 2:48 AM

I love your tip and photos! Why is it disappointing that you can drive a car here? Seems like a place that only hikers should be able to find!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 1:23 AM

Wow, Christine told me about your page and I am ... same amazed as her about what you explain about the stones history and legends !! May I add this to my non-top 5 album please, Ewa ? smiles to Warsaw :-)

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 12:51 AM

To me, pages like this one are what's special about VT: finding our about interesting places, which are overlooked in the guide books. Thank you very much!! I'll have a look on my map to see if I can squeeze going there into my next UK trip.

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Rollright Stones

Have you been to Rollright Stones?

Latest Activity in Rollright Stones