"The Bard's Hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon by evaanna
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 1,153 photos
Stratford-upon-Avon is a beautiful ancient town in central England, best-known of course for its connections with the great English playwright and poet William Shakespeare. Here he was born, here he spent his childhood and the most formative years of his life, here he married a local girl, Anne Hathaway and here he returned at the end of his life to die and be buried in the local church. No wonder so many of the tourist attractions speak of Shakespeare, no wonder crowds of tourists queue to get inside the house where he was born and to Holy Trinity Church to see his grave. Later, coaches take them to Anne Hathaway's cottage, another tourists' Mecca and well worth visiting. If you want to go inside all those buildings, be prepared to spend a lot of money: the entrance fees are quite high. And don't visit Stratford in the summer months if what you like is peace and quiet. You certainly won't find it there.
It would be great if you could visit Stratford on 23rd April - St. George's Day and Shakespeare's birthday, when the whole town comes alive with celebrations. The festivities include a procession through the town of bands, actors dressed up as Shakespearian characters, Morris dancers and others. After all, the town has three theatres, including the Royal Shakespeare Company.
If you want to visit all the five places related to Shakespeare's life, i.e. the Birthplace, Hall's Croft, Nash's House/New Place, Anne Hathaway's Cottage and Jane Arden's House, get one ticket for all of these - it will be cheaper than pay at each place separately. It is also possible to get a ticket for the first three, without the properties situated outside the town.
Such a multiple ticket includes admission to Harvard House too. The current admission fees can be found on the website of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
The streets of Stratford-upon-Avon abound in gorgeous Tudor half-timbered houses. The timber patterns on them are not... more travel advice
The Guild Chapel is not as frequented as Holy Trinity Church but it's a splendid building with some precious medieval... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stratford on Avon"
- "STRATFORD UPON AVON"
- "The land of the Bard ~ Stratford-upon-Avon"
- "The Bard's Hometown"
- "Shakespeare's town"
- "For the Love of Will"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Hotels in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Transportation in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Nightlife in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Restaurants in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Shopping in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Warnings and Dangers in Stratford-upon-Avon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stratford-upon-Avon
- 11 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Stratford-upon-Avon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Posted in Travel Norway Forum "Re: Advice 8 days in Norway."
- Commented on one of grayfo's Stratford-upon-Avon travel pages
- updated a Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Page "The Bard's Hometown"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gorgeous Tudor houses"
- Wrote a Review Gorgeous Tudor houses in Stratford-upon-Avon Favorites
Photos in Stratford-upon-AvonSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue