"The Splendours of Windsor" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by evaanna
Windsor Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 1,253 photos
Home to English Kings and Queens for over nine hundred years, Windsor is best-known for its Castle. Yet, there is more to Windsor than the Castle. You mustn't miss Windsor Great Park with the Long Walk, the lake of Virginia Water and Savill Garden. The town itself has a few interesting little museums, like the Town and Crown Exhibition, the Household Cavalry Museum, the Brass Rubbing Centre and - for horror lovers - the Dungeons of Windsor.
It is also full of quaint little shops where you can buy interesting souvenirs, not just the usual bric-a-brac. As soon as you step off the train, you will find yourself in an elegant shopping centre as the listed Victorian railway buildings now house a number of lovely shops. Don't let them divert you from the main purpose of your journey. I nearly missed the Changing of the Guard attracted by their window displays. And, when you have visited the Castle, there is still Eton to be seen with its famous public school dating back to 1440. There are some very interesting shops selling antiques and interesting crafts on the way there. And, if you are accompanied by children, you may want to visit Legoland Windsor, although you will really need a whole day for that. I didn't, I went for a boat trip on the Thames instead. All in all, Windsor is really worth a visit, and rather more than just a day trip.
- Pros:Great castle, interesting museums and shops
- Cons:Too much to see for just a day trip, queues for the State Apartments, very touristy even on a weekday
On your way to the Castle you will see the statue of Queen Victoria erected in 1887 to celebrate her Golden Jubilee.... more travel advice
When you are tired of the noise and commotion of Windsor, take a boat trip with the French Brothers on the River... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Windsor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My biased viewpoint"
- "Royal Windsor - Home of the Queen"
- "Windsor Castle"
- "The Splendours of Windsor"
- "Windsor-the royal residences."
- "Historic and Lovely Windsor"
- " Windsor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windsor
- Hotels in Windsor
- Transportation in Windsor
- Nightlife in Windsor
- Restaurants in Windsor
- Shopping in Windsor
- Warnings and Dangers in Windsor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Windsor
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Windsor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windsor
Photos in WindsorSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 104 reviews, 352 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue