"The Splendours of Windsor" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by evaanna

Windsor Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,108 photos

Home to English Kings and Queens for over nine hundred years, Windsor is best-known for its Castle. Yet, there is more to Windsor than the Castle. You mustn't miss Windsor Great Park with the Long Walk, the lake of Virginia Water and Savill Garden. The town itself has a few interesting little museums, like the Town and Crown Exhibition, the Household Cavalry Museum, the Brass Rubbing Centre and - for horror lovers - the Dungeons of Windsor.
It is also full of quaint little shops where you can buy interesting souvenirs, not just the usual bric-a-brac. As soon as you step off the train, you will find yourself in an elegant shopping centre as the listed Victorian railway buildings now house a number of lovely shops. Don't let them divert you from the main purpose of your journey. I nearly missed the Changing of the Guard attracted by their window displays. And, when you have visited the Castle, there is still Eton to be seen with its famous public school dating back to 1440. There are some very interesting shops selling antiques and interesting crafts on the way there. And, if you are accompanied by children, you may want to visit Legoland Windsor, although you will really need a whole day for that. I didn't, I went for a boat trip on the Thames instead. All in all, Windsor is really worth a visit, and rather more than just a day trip.

• Pros:Great castle, interesting museums and shops
  • Cons:Too much to see for just a day trip, queues for the State Apartments, very touristy even on a weekday
  • Last visit to Windsor: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2005

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2009 at 9:45 AM

The UK version of my home town of Windsor. hehe! Still as I remember it and that was ages ago (in the late 60's). Thanks for the memories.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Nice page, tips and photos, Ewa. It surely would not harm anyone if those guards were allowed to smile! They must find it hard to keep straight faces.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 7:35 AM

thanks for some useful tips :-)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2008 at 5:51 AM

My old stamping ground - I used to live very near Windsor, a lovely old town I know very well. Nice page and good practical advice too. leyle

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 6:45 AM

Over nine hundred years! Amazing . . .

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 5:32 AM

It's been years that I've been to Windsor lst. You page tells me to come back for another visit.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Hi Eva, Lovely little page of Windsor. I visited it last year with my daughter and we enjoyed our day there very much.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 7:24 AM

What a delight to read. Enjoyed your descriptions, insights, and photographs of the Windsor experience.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 3:46 AM

Castle, the changing guards, lots of history - yes! But are there any little thached houses in Windsor? I miss them now :-)

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 3:03 PM

Eva, You now have almost as many UK pages as Polish pages and every one packed with great tips and photos. I think you need to come to ireland next. :) Katherinei

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Windsor

Have you been to Windsor?

Latest Activity in Windsor