"Colourful Corcaigh" Top 5 Page for this destination Cork by evaanna
Cork Travel Guide: 618 reviews and 1,591 photos
Cork, or, in Irish, Corcaigh, takes its name from the Irish word 'corcach' - 'marshy place'. Beautifully situated on the River Lee, which flows through the city to Lough Mahon and then into Cork Harbour and the Atlantic, it is a city of bridges and steep green hills lined with houses overlooking the river valley. As you arrive there you may think there are two rivers crossing the place - actually, the river just splits as it passes an island where a large part of the city centre lies.
Founded as early as the 6th century by St Fin Barre as a monastic settlement, Cork got its town charter from King John in 1185. Yet, very little remains of its medieval walls and gates, which once encircled the city.
Cork's architecture is diverse - from charming tiny houses of various ages to ultra-modern buildings, but one thing must be said - there are no skyscrapers here and I hope they don't build any as this would spoil the character of the place.
Like all major seaports, Cork has numerous docks and quays all along the River Lee on the east side of the city.
Stroll along the colourful streets of the city centre, with many eye-catching architectural details, admire the fanciful window displays, spend an evening in a pub to taste Guinness and Murphy's, the local stout, and to listen to Irish music. And, when you get tired of the hustle and bustle of the city, take a walk in one of their beautiful parks and admire the masses of flowers, which no place in Cork can do without. Or sit on an embankment and watch the passing boats against the setting sun.
If you don't feel energetic enough to climb to the top of the castle, just take a stroll around its beautifully... more travel advice
This shop or rather a whole complex is housed in one of Ireland's oldest woollen mills just a short distance from... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Cork Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Totally Corked"
- "Cork - The Rebel City"
- "Colourful Corcaigh"
- "First time in Cork - Make A Wish!"
- "Cork ~ Green to Gold"
- "Corcaigh= Cork"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cork
- Hotels in Cork
- Transportation in Cork
- Nightlife in Cork
- Restaurants in Cork
- Shopping in Cork
- Warnings and Dangers in Cork
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cork
- 25 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Cork?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cork
Photos in CorkSee All Photos (115)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 104 reviews, 352 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue