"Little Andalsnes near great Trollstigen" Åndalsnes by evaanna

Åndalsnes Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 79 photos

We were in that area twice, in 2001 and 2003. We approached the famous Trolls' Way from the direction of Oppdal, admiring the Dovrefjell Nasjonalpark on our way. The enormous waterfalls just by the roadside in Varstigen are really worth a visit. They looked so impressive the first time we were there but there was a drought in 2003 and they were only just trickling . Such a disappointment! Not the only one that day. We had been planning to go up Trollstigen as we had done before but some boulders had blocked the road and it was closed for repair till next season. Rather than wait eight months there for it to be opened we went to Geiranger by a different route - 70 kilometres added to our itinerary!
Andalsnes itself is just an ordinary town with a supermarket or two, some shops and a petrol station but the area around it is of unspeakable beauty with waterfalls rumbling down the high mountains and the magnificent fjords cutting through them. It was close to Andalsnes that we saw the first fjord in our lives and realised how picturesque Norway can be.

• Last visit to Åndalsnes: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM

So pretty! What a drive, glad you survived and had a real good time!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 3:23 AM

The fjord is indeed a beautiful sight to see. And your journey up that treacherous road was rewarding too, with that magnificent view.

• amsor's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Trollstiegen looks beautiful !

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Another remarkably beautiful picture, Ewa. No wonder you like going back to Norway.But I couldn't do it, I'd be physically ill. I did it once when I was 9 years old and it scared me sick.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Trollstigen looks beautiful. Yet, that road sounds really scary, but at least you were rewarded with some fantastic views! Excellent page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Glad to hear that your first fiord was so magnificent.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 6:32 PM

What was worse, driving up the or down again? Haha looking at this road I get crazy to pack just now and go there. Fantastic views!

• feline01's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 5:51 AM

Entertaining read. I spent my 23rd birthday at the Geiranger Fjord, probably the most beautiful scenery of any birthday in my life.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 5:41 AM

Trollstigen... is there someone who went there and forgot the thrilling sensations and the great views?

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 12:29 PM

What was worse, driving up the mountain or down again?! -- makes me dizzy just looking at your photos ! -- fantastic views though and it sure looks like it was worth it.

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Åndalsnes

Have you been to Åndalsnes?