"There is more to Flam than the Flamsbana" Top 5 Page for this destination Flåm by evaanna
Flåm Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 335 photos
Flam is best known for the Flamsbana, or mountain railway, a real feat of engineering, which connects it at Myrdal with the railway Bergen - Oslo. If you add to it the location of this port on Aurlandsfjord, the innermost part of Sognefjorden, the longest and grandest of Norwegian fjords, it is easy to see why Flam has developed into a major tourist centre. Tourists from all over the world fill the railway platform, the harbour, the bus stops, the restaurants and the souvenir shops. But they don't stay there long: most visit the place just to change the means of transport for there isn't much to do in Flam itself. Perhaps hikers might stay longer but even they move elsewhere after a day or two. Flam is expensive, more expensive than other equally beautiful places. Its fame has made it so. We were there four times, just for an hour or so and then went off to see the attractions nearby, so I can't say I know it well, but, on the other hand, there isn't so much to see there, apart from the scenery.
If you visit the area in your car, don't be tempted to go into the longest tunnel in the world (24 km) to Laerdal when leaving the place. If you have time and daring spirit, let the lorries and large campers go in the tunnel and take route 243 to Laerdal instead to admire the magnificent scenery of the Aurlandsfjord and the mountains from a height of 1306 m a.s.l. You will never forget it!
- Pros:Beautiful scenery
- Cons:Expensive and full of tourists on the go
- In a nutshell:Worth a look but not a stay
Now that you have reached the highest point of the 'Snow Road' it's time to go down to Laerdal. The road is still quite... more travel advice
After an arduous climb in your car you finally come to the highest point along the route - 1306 m a.s.l. There is hardly... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Flåm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There is more to Flam than the Flamsbana"
- "Scenic Cruising & Flåm Railway"
- "MORE TROLLS AT FLAM!"
- "Little place between steep mountains"
- "Norway in a Nutshell Trip"
- "Norway in a nutshell"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flåm
- Hotels in Flåm
- Transportation in Flåm
- Restaurants in Flåm
- Shopping in Flåm
- Warnings and Dangers in Flåm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flåm
- 15 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Flåm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flåm
- Posted in Travel Edinburgh Forum "Re: How many days would you stay..."
- Commented on one of evaanna's Flåm tips
- updated a Flåm Travel Page "There is more to Flam than the Flamsbana"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Down to Laerdal on the Aurlandsvegen"
- Wrote a Review Down to Laerdal on the Aurlandsvegen in Flåm Things to Do
Photos in FlåmSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue