"Home of the Giants" Top 5 Page for this destination Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark by evaanna
Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 68 photos
Jotunheimen, which in translation means 'home of the giants', is the largest mountain range in Scandinavia with its highest peak, Galdhoppiggen reaching 2469 m. Since 1980 a third of the total area of 3500 square km has been protected as the Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark.
The mountains are wonderfully wild, with no traces of human activity, except near the mountain lodges where the tired hiker can find shelter for the night. The scenery is stunning - the bare mountainsides covered with no more than moss and tiny plants which are not afraid of the harsh weather conditions, the white glaciers, moss again and rubble left here by the glacier in the valleys and the blue lakes dotting this rugged landscape. And, although it would obviously be better to explore the area hiking, you can see much of the fantastic scenery from your car window. We crossed Jotunheimen twice following different routes: the first time we drove from Sogndal to Lom along road 55 and, on our way back, we took the route from Randen to Fagernes (road 51). The former is more imposing and picturesque, the latter would be nice for children as there you come across some stalls of the Sami people and their reindeer.
Having crossed Jotunheimen by Sognefjellet or road 55, we expected similar impressions crossing it again from Randen to... more travel advice
Jotunheimen doesn't have any trees, but its mountain slopes are far from bare. Wherever possible, tiny plants, mainly... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GIANT HOME FOR GIANT ADVENTURE"
- "Home of the Giants"
- "La Maison des Géants - House of the Giants"
- "Jotunheimen National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Hotels in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Transportation in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Nightlife in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Warnings and Dangers in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark
- Posted in Travel Gdansk Forum "Re: Can you climb the St. Mary's..."
- updated a Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark Travel Page "Home of the Giants"
- Commented on one of blanter's Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark travel pages
- Wrote a Review Randen - Fagernes - road 51 in Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Randen - Fagernes - road 51"
Photos in Jotunheimen NasjonalparkSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue