"The Lublin Upland and Roztocze" Wojewodztwo Lubelskie by evaanna
Wojewodztwo Lubelskie Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 505 photos
If you look at the map of Poland, this area lies in the south-east but north of the more southerly regions around Rzeszow and the Bieszczady Mountains. I don't like writing pages on the administrative units of Poland - voivodeships. Their boundaries have changed so many times that it has been hard to follow them and nobody uses their names anyway - we prefer the names of the geographic regions, which are permanent. But they are not on VT and I don't know the region well enough to do separate pages on its towns and villages. Anyway, if I did that they would be put on my list of places in Poland alphabetically without any indication as to their exact location.
Geographically, the region encompasses the Lublin Upland (Wyzyna Lubelska) and Roztocze to the south-east of it. It borders on the Vistula River in the west and the Ukrainian border in the east. In fact, the upland of Roztocze does not end there but stretches well into the Ukraine.
I have been to the area a few times but it was long ago and, attending some courses or conferences, I did little sightseeing. But my husband went on a cycling trip there for a few days not long ago and a friend from work went sightseeing in the area recently and has given me permission to use his photographs. Thank you, Andrzej!
A large proportion of the region is farmland with fertile soils and fields divided into long narrow strips as most of them were owned by individual farmers even in communist times. It's an undulating land, pleasantly diverse if you are driving across and abounding in forests. At places, e.g., near Kazimierz Dolny, you can admire beautiful deep ravines and river vistas. And it's a province steeped in history, which should emanate from my tips, with some interesting architecture, monuments, works of art. The way I see it it's one of the most peaceful regions of Poland, with little industry, not too many tourists and plenty of inexpensive rooms to let in private houses.
Only a few photographs on this page were taken by me, all the others - either by my husband or by my friend Andrzej Kaznowski. Many thanks to both!
The inn, which is located by the Warsaw - Lublin road, has been strongly recommended to me by my friend who is a great... more travel advice
The Roztocze National Park has its roots in the game reserve set up in Zwierzyniec by Jan Zamoyski towards the end of... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Wojewodztwo Lubelskie Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Wojewodztwo Lubelskie
- Hotels in Wojewodztwo Lubelskie
- Transportation in Wojewodztwo Lubelskie
- Nightlife in Wojewodztwo Lubelskie
- Restaurants in Wojewodztwo Lubelskie
- Warnings and Dangers in Wojewodztwo Lubelskie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wojewodztwo Lubelskie
- 18 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Wojewodztwo Lubelskie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wojewodztwo Lubelskie
Photos in Wojewodztwo LubelskieSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue