"Lysebotn and Lysefjorden" Lysebotn by evaanna
Lysebotn Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 107 photos
Lysebotn is a tiny village in the innermost part of the Lysefjord in Rogaland. I had seen it on the webcams before and wanted very much to see it in reality. And this year my dream came true, if not exactly the way I had dreamt it, which I will explain in my tips. But the scenic part of it even surpassed my expectations: I had not thought southern Norway could have such wild sheer mountains and that the wilderness of Hardangervidda could be found here as well.
Lysebotn has not always been the sleepy place it is now. Some time ago the village had a lively and active community, a school and some shops. Not any longer. The power plants that used to provide jobs for the local people have become automated and remotely controlled, thus making many of the workers redundant. The village lost its livelihood and a third of the population had to move elsewhere. Not easily accessible, the place would have fallen into oblivion, had it not been discovered by tourists. It now has a motel, a campsite, a cafe and a pub. But it still looks deserted: no people can be seen near the few private houses, the streets (just two I think) are mostly empty. Life, if any, concentrates on the campsite and in the port area, where at weekends you can see some yachts moored to the embankment. The place comes to life for a while when a ferry or boat calls in but then goes to sleep again.
The greatest attractions of Lysebotn include hiking trips in the mountains, especially to Kjerag, the rock massif that offers a great view of the fjord and the mountains, to Preikestolen (see the tip) and the less known but equally beautiful Florli. You can join one of the guided hiking tours, ask for information on the campsite.
Another great attraction is the boat trip on the fjord with breathtaking scenery - the high mountains looming right above you, the picturesque waterfalls and the view of the Forsand bridge spanning the fjord.
As you go along the deserted mountain road to Adneram, the only living creatures you encounter are sheep grazing by... more travel advice
I had just gone down to the bar to get a drink on our boat trip on the Lysefjord when I heard music - Grieg's ' In the... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
Lysebotn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lysebotn and Lysefjorden"
- "Lysebotn road"
- "Sharrie's Lysebotn Encounter"
- "A rustic paradise within easy reach from Stavanger"
- "Jumping in Lysebotn!"
- "Gate to Lysefjord"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lysebotn
- Hotels in Lysebotn
- Transportation in Lysebotn
- Restaurants in Lysebotn
- Warnings and Dangers in Lysebotn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lysebotn
- 14 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Lysebotn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lysebotn
Photos in LysebotnSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 19 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue