"Around Notodden" Notodden by evaanna

Notodden Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 8 photos

Notodden is a small town in Telemark that we passed through during our second trip to Norway in 2002 on our way to see Heddal Stavkyrkje, a beautiful stave church just west of Notodden. As you go along Road E134, you can see a lake and a river valley on your left, but we didn't stop there as it was raining. We wanted to go on then to Blefjell but the road we saw on the map (361) just wasn't there. The only person we could ask the way, a housewife in her thirties, whom we saw in front of her house, didn't speak English at all, which is very rare in Norway. We couldn't communicate with her and there was no one else in sight so, after visiting the church, we went back to Kongsberg and then up Road 40 to Rollag, where we found a nice campsite to stay the night.

• Last visit to Notodden: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2014 at 12:58 AM

What a lovely town you found!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

A nice quirky looking town! I like the sculpture on the grounds of the Stave Church. Did you ever find out who the two people in the sculpture are?

• evaanna's Profile Photo
      Aug 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM

No, I am afraid I didn't. There was no one to ask and I never visited the place again.

• Ewilly's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Have seen this nice church also, and it was great !

• amsor's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM

yes, this church is really wonderful !

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM

The Heddal Stave Church is indeed very big and very beautiful. Enjoyed the troll Finn story.

• hexelein's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2009 at 8:07 AM

The statue is of Olea Crøger (1801-1855), who collected and published old folk songs from Heddal and the surrounding area. The other woman is unnamed. The statue was made by Tore Bjørn Skjølsvik.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 2:44 PM

Very interesting tips about Heddal Stave Church - a must see for me now!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2005 at 10:55 PM

I remember well of Heddal Stavkyrkje but did not know about the story of its building. Thanks for sharing !

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 11:23 AM

Definitely Rumpelstiltskin. Lovely pictures as well.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2005 at 2:30 PM

Great info about the stave church! That legend reminds me a little bit of the Rumplestiltskin fairy tale.

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Notodden

Have you been to Notodden?

Latest Activity in Notodden