"Reindeer in Lappland" Arjeplog by evaanna

Arjeplog Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 5 photos

On our way from Poland to the Lofoten we only passed through Lappland, which looked very wild and deserted - an expanse of not very high woods and marshlands.

It was not as deserted as it seemed, though. Very soon we saw its permanent residents - reindeer.

Seemingly not at all afraid of the car - this could be their bad luck some day - they grazed gracefully by the roadside, yet looked up vigilant every time I tried to get out . Finally, I managed to take the photo through the open car window. And just this would have made our day. But there was still the Pieljekaise National Park before us. And soon we realized why we were nearly the only travellers there and had met no lorries on our way. On reaching Norway, Road 95 (Norwegian 77) sloped steeply down with a dangerous hairpin bend no lorry could have negotiated.

All the photographs on these pages are my own and must not be reproduced without permission.

• Pros:wonderful nature, chance of seeing reindeer in the wild
  • Cons:far-off, reached after a long and at places monotonous journey
  • In a nutshell:Worth the long journey
  • Last visit to Arjeplog: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Good that you saw so many reindeer -- but I hope they are aware of the danger of cars.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
      Jun 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Hope so too, but, fortunately for them, the traffic there is very sparse, two or three cars per hour on the average.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM

How lucky were you to see the Reindeer so close!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2010 at 4:14 AM

How cool is that! Real reindeer. I wonder which one is Rudolph. hehe!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Oh lovely, Santa Claus' reindeer :-)

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 12:52 AM

More, more! I love the north :)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 9:37 PM

Good photos of reindeers!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2005 at 10:38 AM

Another of your travel jewels. You could take up writing for travel magazines.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2005 at 12:16 PM

Great little page. Monotonous journey? But worth time, I see because of at least reindeers in wild!

• Apr 17, 2005 at 6:08 AM

You bring back nice memories of "Silvervägen" (Silver Road) and down the steep hairbends in Junkerdalen :o) Those bends was awful to get up before they put asphalt on them... or icy during winter.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2004 at 2:45 AM

Great start ,love the pictures.

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Arjeplog

Have you been to Arjeplog?

Latest Activity in Arjeplog