"On the Bottenviken Bay" Oxelösund by evaanna

Oxelösund Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 22 photos

When we saw Sweden for the first time from our ferry heading for Nynashamn, I immediately came to like the myriads of skerries at its shores. Some overgrown by wood, some just pure rock, they all had a great attraction for me. With only sandy beaches on the Polish side of the Baltic the rocky seashore looked interesting because it was different. And it was then that we decided to spend at least a few days on the Bottenviken Bay on our way back. And not just once. We have now stayed on the Bay three times, at different places. In fact, we got to the area around Nykopping that I am going to describe here on our second stay in Sweden a year later. We stayed on a campsite at Jogerso, a small seaside village just about 3 km from Oxelosund. We wanted to visit Nykopping, which is a very interesting town, but had run out of film by the time we got there so we don't have any pictures, but first of all we wanted to have a rest after the thousands of kilometres' driving across Scandinavia and to take a boat trip to the nearby archipelago with a nature reserve at Stendorren. We'd been told you could cross from island to island there by small bridges built between them. Yet, it was the second fortnight in August and there were no boats - the Swedes finish their season by mid-August, when Swedish children go back to school. Disappointed as we were, we still enjoyed our visit to Nykopping and its harbour, and the great walks on the cliffs at Jogerso.

• Last visit to Oxelösund: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2009

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I've been reading a couple of Henning Mankell books so decided to 'visit' Sweden.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM

Fun to see you relaxing on a smooth rock. - who needs a beach - the sun is the same.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Oh yes, lovely place to relax. Haha, I love your expression "brown as berries", that's why I look forward to my summer holiday there, I also don't like the big Mediterrean heat.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 8:34 PM

A nice place for a rest, obviously, especially if it is sunny!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Nice place for relax, I see.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 4:49 AM

Nice little page - but you don't need a boat to go to Stendörren and it's open all year round :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2006 at 10:01 AM

What more could you ask for "peace & fresh air" seems like a laid back place to go

• Feb 26, 2006 at 4:14 AM

Fantastic page...I do feel like visiting this place!!! Härlig Sverige :)

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Oxelösund

Have you been to Oxelösund?

Latest Activity in Oxelösund