"Geiranger the irresistible" Top 5 Page for this destination Geiranger by evaanna
Geiranger Travel Guide: 168 reviews and 488 photos
Geiranger is a small village with a great attraction - a stunningly beautiful fjord. We have been to Norway four times and could never resist seeing it again. So, though we travelled along different routes, Geiranger was always included in our itinerary. We never stayed there long - 2-3 nights at most - but we always went for the boat trip to see the fjord again and again. And it was never the same - the sunshine played with its colours, changing it from bright and cheerful to sombre and threatening. Once a drought reduced the famous waterfall the Seven Sisters to just four and only just about trickling. It was always exciting though and unforgettable.
The village itself lies on the banks of the fjord and along the winding roads that climb up the surrounding mountains in endless hairpin bends. More and more touristy with every year, it should probably be visited after 15 August, when school has already started in Scandinavia.
But even then a few ferries arrive there every day bringing tourists from all over the world to see the fantastic views. The village becomes quieter in the evening - most visitors are gone by then and the fjord recovers all its splendour, lost a little in the hubbub of the day.
All photographs on these pages, including all the tips and travelogues, are my own and must not be reproduced without permission.
- Pros:Stunning views
- Cons:Full of tourists and coaches
- In a nutshell:A great place
The garden at the back of our house was the main reason why we stayed there four times already. It was a charming... more travel advice
Even if you have not planned to travel towards Stryn or Lom from Geiranger, that is, past Dalsnibba and on along Road... more travel advice
Written Mar 23, 2007
Geiranger on a cloudy day
Written Jan 7, 2005
Geiranger in the sunshine
evaanna's Related Pages
Geiranger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The amazing colour of the Geiranger fjord"
- "Geiranger Fjord and the Roof of Norway"
- "Geiranger the irresistible"
- "STEEP MOUNTAINS - MAJESTIC SCENERY"
- "Geiranger - Pearl of the fjords"
- "Trip to Geiranger"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geiranger
- Hotels in Geiranger
- Transportation in Geiranger
- Shopping in Geiranger
- Warnings and Dangers in Geiranger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geiranger
- 17 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Geiranger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geiranger
Photos in GeirangerSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue