"Cornwall - picturesque and friendly" Top 5 Page for this destination Cornwall by evaanna

Cornwall Travel Guide: 1,687 reviews and 4,315 photos

My two visits to Cornwall were both in April. The Cornwall I saw was wonderful: just nature all around - the sea, the beaches, the rocks, the seagulls and the wild rabbits in my friends' garden. Well, the rabbits were one of the few things my friends and I disagreed about - I thought they were lovely, my friends didn't. After all, the naughty creatures were eating their beautiful garden. I was taken on sightseeing tours by my friend but we couldn't see everything in such a short time so I hope to return there some day. It won't be easy now that my friends have sold their house and moved elsewhere. The more reason why I should thank my friends Barbara and Ralph for their great kindness and hospitality.

My friends' house was at Trebetherick near Wadebridge in North Cornwall - close to the beach and the coastal path. It was early spring but their garden was already full of flowers - the mild climate and the humidity make things grow faster.
The local people of Cornwall were friendly and helpful, always ready to talk to a stranger. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer of them. More and more houses are being bought up by city folk for holiday homes. The rest of the year they stand there looking desolate with their windows boarded over.

Cornwall is worth visiting not only for its magnificent scenery, but also for its history, so different from the history of the rest of Britain, and, above all, for its legends. Populated since the Stone Age, Cornwall used to have its own Cornish language, a Celtic language thousands of years old. The last speaker of the language died in the late 1890s but nowadays the language is being revived, starting with road signs, which point to Kernow as well as Cornwall.
The best-known Cornish legend is of course that of King Arthur, who is said to have been born at Tintagel.
But there are more legends, many of them featuring such characters as Giants and mischevous Piskies. The stories of Giants and Piskies may have originated from the meeting of the tall Celts with the small Bronze Age peoples.
To complete the picture, there are also mermaids luring men into the sea and a plethora of Cornish saints, most of whom are said to have arrived in Cornwall from the sea in various improbable vehicles. The greatest of them, St Petroc not only converted the Cornish people to Christianity but is also said to have killed the last dragon of Cornwall. So don't just admire the views - you will see more if you read on the Cornish culture. Who knows, you might even see a mermaid.

• Pros:A great place out of season, beautiful views, large open spaces, fresh air, opportunity for country walks
  • Cons:Touristy in summer, traffic jams on the way there, narrow roads
  • In a nutshell:Picturesque out of season, noisy and crowded otherwise
  • Last visit to Cornwall: Apr 1995
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2009

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2010 at 12:25 AM

An area of outstanding beauty.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Wonderful Cornwall travel page. It is an interesting tourist destination. Restormal Castle, St. Michael's Mount and Port Isaac certainly sound interesting to visit and explore. Thanks for your virtual tour with stunning photographs. ~ho & pang

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2009 at 4:01 AM

Enjoyable page on Cornwall, esp. St. Michael's Mount which so reminds me of Mont St Michel in France. The Coastal Footpath would be a wonderful way to walk along the coast - so scenic.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Restormel Castle is really impressive! Haha, another of the Saint Michael sanctuaries standing on the hypothetical St Michael-Apollo Axis! Riding the camel trail must be a very pleasant experience!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 9:42 AM

I enjoyed this page a lot, the pictures of the coastal walks are wonderful. But you're right, walking there can get dangerous.

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 10:24 AM

It is not necessary to visit Cornwall to feel the wind. Katowice is realy windy recently.;) Pozdrawiam.:)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 4:17 AM

I am impresssed: very helpful tips (thanks for train warning :-), very interesting info with historical background, awesome pictures and fascinating observations!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2007 at 4:27 AM

Lovely - I always wanted to visit Cornwall, for its landscape and wind :-) Ah, Tintagel, ghosts and this wonderful old Restormel Castle :-)) thanks Ewa :-)

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2006 at 11:17 PM

My second visit to your Cornwall pages. Trying to plan my next trip to the UK which will include Cornwall. Great tips...thanks for sharing...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2006 at 3:10 PM

I've always wanted to visit Land's End and St Michael's Mount --- thanks for your photos and descriptions. And I'd love to do some cycling on the Camel Trail.

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Cornwall

Have you been to Cornwall?

Latest Activity in Cornwall