"Similan Island Paradise of the Travellers" Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan by sweetie_inc
Ko Similan Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 418 photos
The Similan Islands are by far the most spectacular group of dive sites that Thailand has to offer and are on par with some of the best diving destiantions worldwide.
Located about 100km northwest of Phuket, the Similans consist of 9 granite islands (Similan is derived from the Malay sembilan, and means nine) covered in lush, tropical, jungle foliage, surrounded by sparkling clear blue oceans. The beaches are made up of the finest white powdery sand and literally melt into the warm tropical waters.
With the establishment of stations by the Royal Forestry Department on Koh Miang and Koh Similan, fishing within the national park boundaries was banned and the unwanted visitors were substituted by tourists.
Today, all reefs have recovered from earlier disturbances. Boats entering the Similan Islands National Park have to follow strict rules imposed and controlled by the national park officials, have to use the moorings prepared by the national park and use closed waste water systems to avoid any pollution.
The high number of repeating tourists, especially divers, is a clear sign for the popularity and the quality of the protected waters and the diversified underwater world.
This is what most tourists call underwater paradise. Similan harbor peacefully in the middle of the Andaman Sea on the western coast of the south of Thailand.
Under the sea, the marine creature is of great variety, from massive soft corals, sea fans to colorful and rare fish. Besides numerous colorful coral reefs, divers are given the chance to see silvertip sharks, leopard sharks and sea turtles there are deep valleys - thanks to the visibility of the underwater scene that can be reached from 18 to 25 meters or even 40 meters at times.
- Pros:Very Beautiful Beaches & An Underwater Paradise
- Cons:None that I can think of!
- In a nutshell:A place with hot sun, fine beaches and open-water pool..
Remember to bring an underwater camera to catch some shots of the underwater world!! more travel advice
A must-do if have your Open Water Diving Certificaton... A great place to dive and you'll get to see more interesting... more travel advice
sweetie_inc's Related Pages
Ko Similan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Similan Islands National Park"
- "Koh Similan.. Jewels of the Andaman Sea"
- "Similans: Some of the Best Diving in the World!"
- "Similan - did I tell You that I love You?"
- "Similan Island Paradise of the Travellers"
- "Similian Islands"
- "Similan Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ko Similan
- Hotels in Ko Similan
- Transportation in Ko Similan
- Nightlife in Ko Similan
- Restaurants in Ko Similan
- Warnings and Dangers in Ko Similan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ko Similan
- 10 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ko Similan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ko Similan
- updated a Ko Similan Travel Page "Similan Island Paradise of the Travellers"
- Posted in Travel Perth Forum "Any National Park along the way..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "More pictures of Ko Similan"
- Wrote a Review Underwater camera in Ko Similan What to Pack
- Commented on one of icyjo24's Ko Similan travel pages
Photos in Ko SimilanSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 19 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan Intro, 10 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos
- Kaafu Atholhu Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos
- Pulau Batam Intro, 12 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos
- Gold Coast Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue