"E-town" Evanston by ani10881
Evanston Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 149 photos
I used to think Evanston couldn't decide if it's a city or a town. With all the growth in the downtown area, it seems Evanston desires to edge towards city status. What's lame is, like Chicago, residences in E-town are generally racially segregated. Let me know if you disagree...
The charm that downtown Evanston once exuded is not quite as apparent to me as it used to . Of course there are still a number of little shops (Bookman's Alley)and cafes (Cafe Express), but now you can't turn around without new condos being built, and some new crappy retail chain is tapping you on the shoulder. Oh well, s**tloads of money HAVE to be made, right????
Well, this wan't supposed to turn into a rant, my apologies :)
I'll find more positive things to say later. Oooh, I got one! Art and international festivals and the farmers market in the summertime. AWESOME.
- Pros:Along the lake, NU's Block Cinema, Lucky Platter restaurant, Sarkis!!
- Cons:Preppy NU frat/sorority ilk, parking in downtown Evanston ain't what it used to be
I work on and off at a store in Evanston that sells alcohol, and it's a whopping 14.5% sales tax. I'm not much of a... more travel advice
These days, if I walk into an Asian restaurant and see no Asian diners- I tend to be a bit wary. My experience at Lulu's... more travel advice
ani10881's Related Pages
Evanston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Victoriana meets Helmut Jahn on the Lake"
- "A University "Creates" A Town"
- "Evanston Illinois"
- "Evanston, Illinois"
- "Evanston pretty place outside of Chicago"
- "Evanston - north of Chicago"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Evanston
- Hotels in Evanston
- Transportation in Evanston
- Nightlife in Evanston
- Restaurants in Evanston
- Shopping in Evanston
- Warnings and Dangers in Evanston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Evanston
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Evanston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Evanston
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Evanston Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Dublin Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sligo Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Seoul Intro, 1 review, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Skokie Intro, 4 reviews, 1 photo
- Oslo Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue