"MERIDA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA" Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida by Sandi-2004
Mérida Travel Guide: 317 reviews and 628 photos
Merida is the capital of the Mexican state of Yucatan. The city & the state are on a landmass in southern Mexico known as The Yucatan Peninsula. The Caribbean is on the SE side of the peninsula & the Gulf of Mexico on the NW. Merida is a fascinating & festive city with weekend fiestas where the streets are blocked off in the downtown area & there are professional folk dancers as well as many bands so that the people of Merida can listen to or dance to whatever music they like. With a population of about 800,000, Merida is a busy city; it also is very safe & the people are kind and courteous.
We flew into Cancun primarily because flying there from San Francisco was half the cost that flying to Merida would have been. Also, we hadn't been to Cancun, so we wanted to experience being on the Caribbean (which really is turquoise). We stayed right on the beach at the Westin Hotel and had a great view of the white sands & water from our 4th floor balcony. It was truly awe-inspiring, as were so many things during this trip.
We went inland for two hours to reach the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza. We arrived in the evening and spent the night at Mayaland Resort & Bungalows which is on the Chichen Itza property and has it's own entrance into the grounds. Both C. Itza & Mayaland, which sits on 100 acres of tropical gardens, were amazing to experience.
AFTER THAT - ON TO MERIDA
- Pros:Much to see & do - both ancient & modern
- Cons:Extreme heat & humidity some months
- In a nutshell:Unusual & fascinating --very enjoyable
This is another beautiful scene at Mayaland. - this lovely shaded terrace with a stand of Bamboo just beyond. more travel advice
This photo shows a very good replica of the statue of Chacmool that is located in Chichen Itza on top of the Temple of... more travel advice
- See All THE MAKING, SELLING & USE OF HAMMOCKS
- See All MAYALAND, NEXT TO CHICHEN ITZA
- See All STARTING THE CLIMB UP THE STEPS OF THE...
Sandi-2004's Related Pages
Mérida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MERIDA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA"
- "Friendly Mérida"
- "Feliz Año Nuevo en Mérida, Mexico"
- "The Cultural Capital of the Yucatan"
- "Walking along Merida"
- "Sunday in Merida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mérida
- Hotels in Mérida
- Transportation in Mérida
- Nightlife in Mérida
- Restaurants in Mérida
- Shopping in Mérida
- Warnings and Dangers in Mérida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mérida
- 42 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mérida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mérida
- updated a Mérida Travel Page "MERIDA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA"
- Posted in Travel San José Forum "Re: Re: Car Rental Insurance in..."
- Wrote a Review BAMBOO BEYOND THE TERRACE in Mérida Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great Seafood Buffet on Fridays"
- Commented on one of nepalgoods's Mérida travel pages
Photos in MéridaSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 42 reviews, 45 photos
- Victoria Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Rome Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Seattle Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Italy Intro, 3 photos
- Wengen Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Bern Intro, 2 photos