"MERIDA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA" Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida by Sandi-2004

Mérida Travel Guide: 317 reviews and 628 photos

MERIDA, CAPITAL OF YUCATAN

Merida is the capital of the Mexican state of Yucatan. The city & the state are on a landmass in southern Mexico known as The Yucatan Peninsula. The Caribbean is on the SE side of the peninsula & the Gulf of Mexico on the NW. Merida is a fascinating & festive city with weekend fiestas where the streets are blocked off in the downtown area & there are professional folk dancers as well as many bands so that the people of Merida can listen to or dance to whatever music they like. With a population of about 800,000, Merida is a busy city; it also is very safe & the people are kind and courteous.

We Started our Journey in Cancun

We flew into Cancun primarily because flying there from San Francisco was half the cost that flying to Merida would have been. Also, we hadn't been to Cancun, so we wanted to experience being on the Caribbean (which really is turquoise). We stayed right on the beach at the Westin Hotel and had a great view of the white sands & water from our 4th floor balcony. It was truly awe-inspiring, as were so many things during this trip.

From Cancun to Chichen Itza

We went inland for two hours to reach the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza. We arrived in the evening and spent the night at Mayaland Resort & Bungalows which is on the Chichen Itza property and has it's own entrance into the grounds. Both C. Itza & Mayaland, which sits on 100 acres of tropical gardens, were amazing to experience.
AFTER THAT - ON TO MERIDA

• Pros:Much to see & do - both ancient & modern
  • Cons:Extreme heat & humidity some months
  • In a nutshell:Unusual & fascinating --very enjoyable
  • Last visit to Mérida: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 22, 2005

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Enjoyed your Merida pages. I am renting a house(a whopping $80 LOL)for a month and plan on taking a bus to the ruins & Cancun.Tho I speak Spanish, I am going to enjoy that English Library Mike

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Fabulous page! Hoping to visit Merida and the Yucatan this Dec. Greetings from Calgary ~ Helen

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2005 at 9:53 PM

Thanks for the good memories of the Yucatan!! I agree with you, the food at Alberto's Lebanese restaurant was a disappointment.. Did you have a chance to visit Izamal?? We loved the yellow city!! Thanks for sharing your tips and pics!!

• Nov 9, 2005 at 9:58 PM

Great info, my parents are missionarys in Merdia. Thanks for the food tips, I'll need them.

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2005 at 4:07 PM

Looks a wonderful place to visit and live.Thanks for the great info.I found this area safe and friendly too.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 6:47 PM

Lovely page, Sandi. The hotel info was especially good. The B&Bs in Merida and near Chichen Itza look like my type of place. : )

• Dec 20, 2004 at 4:20 AM

Wife and I just completed a 5 week stay in the Yucatan. Spent 10 days on the road visiting many archeology and other interesting sites. Sandi your comments and pics are great. Go again and spend more time in the Merida area, it gets better with more time.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 2:59 PM

Fantastic! after seeing Machu Pichu, I can't wait to see the inca sites of the Yucatan!

• guell's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2004 at 11:24 PM

Love the colonial architecture! Merida is on my top-three list of places in Mexico that I would love to visit. These tips will come in handy when I do.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 3:44 PM

Thanks for stopping by my Chichen Itza page, just back from a trip to Playa del Carmen! Enjoyed your page on Merida, was thinking about going there next year to see the ruins at Uxmal.

Sandi-2004

“What you can do, or think you can, begin it."”

Badges & Stats in Mérida