"Egypt - an exciting place to go" Egypt by VZ-Pam

Egypt Travel Guide: 16,112 reviews and 41,014 photos

A Country that offer so much to see & to learn

There are so many ancient mysteries of ancient egyptian technologies and knowledges from the monuments which pointed that a high civilization was once existed about 5500+ years ago. Even with modern technologies, many questions of how these ancient great people built these monuments still remain a mystery.
At the same time, I think the modern egypt has a lot to offer us to see and learn, the way how they live, the way they trade and the way how the family,religion and traditions affected their lives that the western world do not understand.

My trip

As seen over here, We flew stay in Cairo for one day, then we fly to Aswan, then we board the Nile River Cruise to go down stream to Luxor. We stayed in Luxor 2 days & then we flew back to Cairo .

Some of my souveniors from haggling

The stone statues that I bought. My vendor claimed they are all made of stones & I told him I believed they were not stones. Then he burnt the bottom part of the stone sculptures & told me it proof they are not plastics. Yeah I said bottom is stone but the rest are not....ha ha ha he flipped & just told me I was too much & he treated me as a friend but I doubted him. OMG he went non-stop, so I just bought them after a 10 minute battle of haggling session. Yeah we verbally agreed to a peace treaty & so I got his so called beloved goodies & aggressive egyptian vendor got my money & a pen as a gift. I started to think about that story of how the French got the priceless Obelisk from Karnak Temple by trading the Egyptian with a broken clock tower as a gift to the Citadel. OK.....which one represent me...hummmmm....I need to think really deep about it......

• Pros:Fascinating ancient Monuments captivate your sensors
  • Cons:Pollution & horrible traffic in Cairo & merchants that drive people nuts
  • Last visit to Egypt: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2008

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Excellent page! We too faced the similar situation there, but we managed . Your suggestions are good. We too brought many 1 LE Coins back with us as souvenir!

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Hi Pam, Merry Christmas! Fine page you have here! L.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2011 at 7:38 PM

great tips Pam!

• Nov 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM

I had someone try this at City Stars, but I didn't know what she was saying, so I just ignored her, walked in, did what I needed to do, and left. Apparently playing the dumb foreigner works at least some of the time.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for including the cheat sheet on "Eastern Arabic Numerals" -- and your guidelines on when not to pay baksheesh.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Still on my wish list, but I will get there ;-)

• vinc_bilb's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2008 at 5:53 AM

Huum, yes, reading your pages and tips, I'm confident for your survival shoping session in Morocco! Excellent, thanks

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Baksheesh at the Pyramids was the worst. They wanted Baksheesh for any and everything. Baksheesh is less in the Sinai. The Bedouin had open animosity toward what they call "The Egyptians that only come to the Sinai to make money"

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I think it is about time I said Hi to you Pam other then in the Forum You are a lot of fun in your forum replies I looked at your H page it is lovely I would like to know what the weather is like in Jan in Egypt Lori wants to do a Nile trip like you

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Some useful basic tips.

VZ-Pam

“To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities”

Badges & Stats in Egypt