"Salzburg, City of Mozart and Churches" Salzburg by alucas
Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,684 reviews and 6,450 photos
Dominated by its castle, the Festung Hohensalzburg, the compact old city is a maze of narrow streets and passageways leading into squares dominated by the churches and Baroque buildings from Salzburg?s heyday as seat of the Prince Archbishops.
The main picture was taken on the only cloudy day we had during our visit, and I think it captures the atmosphere better than one taken with the sun out.
Looking down from the castle, you can count the domes, towers and spires of no less than seven churches on the same side of the river (there are more than that !), and four more in the ?new? town on the other side. The cathedral (or Dom) is the largest with its twin towers and elliptical dome, but I thought that Stiftskirche St Peter (St Peter?s Abbey) was the most interesting.
Mozart was born in an apartment in No 9 Getreidegasse (now a museum), where he lived for the first 17 years of his life, before his father moved the family to a more spacious apartment in No 9 Makartplatz (another museum) across the river. In the new town there is the Mozart Foundation (Motzarteum) and he has a music festival (Mozartwoche), a square, a bridge, an airport and even chocolates (Mozartkugeln) named after him.
Why did we choose to visit Salzburg ?
We decided that we wanted a short break at the end of February to get away from work, and recharge our batteries. There wasn?t really time to travel very far, so travelling south for sun and warm wasn?t really an option, and a city break seemed the obvious choice. So where to go to find somewhere interesting, where the weather shouldn?t be too bad and there was enough to see ? A quick study of the atlas produced rather a long shortlist, but it was quickly trimmed down, with some places marked for future trips. Some research on the internet brought Salzburg to the top of the list, and even better was easy and cheap to get to.
alucas' Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Mozart Music and More"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues