"Coggeshall - a charming village" Coggeshall by alucas
Coggeshall Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 74 photos
Coggeshall is a charming little village situated between Braintree and Colchester on the A120. Its heydey was in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries when it was a place of real importance in the wool trade. Today there are around two hundred listed buildings (according to the Parish Council website) surviving, many of them timber - framed. Grange Barn and Paycockes are both National Trust properties.
The 15th century Parish Church of St Peter-ad-Vincula is one of the largest parish churches in the country. There are two other churches - St. Bernard of Clairvaux, in Stoneham Street, is the Catholic church, whilst Christ Church is a free church formed by the union of the Baptist, Methodist and United Reformed congregations.
Coggeshall has a number of pubs, of which the most famous is the White Hart Hotel - a 15th century timbered framed building with 18 rooms, conference facilities and an excellent restaurant. We have eaten there several times, and have never been disappointed. There is also another well-known restaurant - Baumanns. This used to be owned by Peter Langan (and called Langan's Brasserie) - before he came to a sudden end in 1988, and the restaurant was taken over by his chef, Mark Baumann.
The church was built in the 15th century, during the prosperous times of the wool trade in East Anglia. It is... more travel advice
alucas' Related Pages
Coggeshall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Coggeshall"
- "Coggeshall in Essex, England - A Quaint Village"
- "Coggeshall - a charming village"
- "Nice Essex village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coggeshall
- Hotels in Coggeshall
- Transportation in Coggeshall
- Nightlife in Coggeshall
- Restaurants in Coggeshall
- Shopping in Coggeshall
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coggeshall
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Coggeshall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coggeshall
Photos in CoggeshallSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues