"Dovercourt" Dovercourt by alucas
Dovercourt Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 20 photos
I have been visiting Dovercourt frequently over the last eighteen months, as I am involved in a building project here. Maybe at the end of the job I'll add a picture or two of the development.
Dovercourt is just around the corner from Harwich, as far east as you can go along the Essex coast. Just across the River Stour is Felixstowe in Suffolk, an ever-expanding container port dominating the river front. Dovercourt seems to be a quiet sort of place during the week, even in the summer, and could be thought of as a place to retire by the sea. If you were on the sea-front this morning ( a day of constant drizzle ), you would wonder WHY ??
I haven't done much research into the history of Dovercourt yet, so can't tell you much. Suffice to say that the history is entwined with that of Harwich, the main port just around the corner. Harwich has been a port for centuries, and that well-known ship The Mayflower originally came from here ! (I know the Pilgrim Fathers didn't come from here - just that the ship was based here at one time).
The seafront is hardly developed at all. You can see the great expanse of open land in the distance, with just the one group of cafe, bowling green and amusement arcade in the foreground beside the tennis club. The beach in the distance has won awards for its cleanliness and is one of the few European Blue Flag beaches in England. On the horizon you can see The Naze, beyond which lie the more popular seaside towns of Clacton, Frinton and Walton.
alucas' Related Pages
Dovercourt Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Dovercourt
- Restaurants in Dovercourt
- Shopping in Dovercourt
- Warnings and Dangers in Dovercourt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dovercourt
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Dovercourt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dovercourt
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues