"Harwich - The Most Easterly Point in Essex" Harwich by alucas
Harwich Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 140 photos
Harwich is the most easterly point in Essex, and is on the tip of the peninsular at the mouth of the river Stour. The river Orwell also reaches the sea at this point. On the opposite bank of the Stour lies Shotley, home of the navy training school HMS Ganges until the 1980's.
To the east, on the opposite bank of the Orwell, lies Felixstowe, nowadays a bustling container port.
Harwich has been a port for centuries, but there is much less sea trade from here now, and Harwich is probably better known as the departure point for ferries to Holland, Germany and Denmark.
The plaque in the picture bears this inscription: -
In 1620 the Mayflower sailed to America with the Pilgrim Fathers. The ship came from Harwich, and the Master, Christopher Jones, lived at 21 Kings Head Street. He was twice married at St. Nicholas?s church. In July the Mayflower left London for Southampton, where the Pilgrim Fathers embarked, and after calling at Dartmouth and Plymouth, arrived at Cape Cod, New England in November 1620.
Erected by the Harwich Society.
alucas' Related Pages
Harwich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Port and Historic Town of Harwich"
- "Loads of History and Loads of Pubs!"
- "Harwich - The Most Easterly Point in Essex"
- "Harwich - like a trip to eastern Europe?"
- "Harbour gateway"
- "Cruise Ship Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harwich
- Hotels in Harwich
- Transportation in Harwich
- Restaurants in Harwich
- Shopping in Harwich
- Warnings and Dangers in Harwich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harwich
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Harwich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harwich
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues