"Stansted - Home of the No-Frills flight" Top 5 Page for this destination Stansted by alucas
Stansted Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 141 photos
Luton might argue the point, but with Ryanair and Easyjet both flying all over Europe from here, Stansted Airport gets my vote. Manston was a new challenger for the south-east, but only had one airline, EUJet and a fraction of the flights, so had a long way to go to catch up. Sadly the company owning both Manston and EUJet went bust, so the future of Manston is very much undecided.
There is loads of information about Stansted on VT, and I'm not going to repeat here a lot of facts that have been given elsewhere, although some of them have found their way into my tips. Lets just say that if you live on this side of London, it's the gateway to Europe.
A few years ago Ryanair started flying from Stansted, and the operation took off (sorry) in a big way and outgrew the facilities. So they built a whole satellite wing just for Ryanair, with its own access route - you don't get to go on the train - you have to walk. You do get a different view of the apron though as you trudge down the escalator, over the bridge, along the corridor, up the escalator, over the bridge, down the corridor .......
.......... until you finally reach the departure gate, and wait for the flight to be called. No allocated seats on Ryanair, so everyone stays close to the gate to try and get on first. Eventually the flight is announced, "please wait to be called forward", but someone twitches, and there's a rush to form a queue ......
......... where you stand for another fifteen minutes until they let you board. Such is life on the no-frills flight ! At least Ryanair are now letting the third of the flight with the lowest boarding card numbers on first, so if you get there before the check-in opens you stand a chance of geting a decent seat on the plane.
You get what you pay for - NO FRILLS ! But why spend loads on the flight when it's only a couple of hours - save it for a decent hotel. Of course there is a downside - queues at the gate because the seats are unreserved, no nasty free airline food, the seats in the newest planes don't recline AT ALL, but what do you expect if you can occasionally grab a flight for under a fiver + taxes i.e. return for two = £ 55 ( say 75 euros) from Stansted to Jerez - a 2.5 hour flight.
I can't tell you much about the area near Stansted, where to stay or where to eat - as we live so close we've never had more than breakfast on the way through - and that particular cafe in the airport has now closed. But there are one or two nice pubs in the area, so I have written tips on those.
- Pros:Bright modern airport, with good facilties and security
- Cons:The queues for check-in and the security checks.
Many people do not realise that when they arrive at London Stansted airport, they are not in London - they are in the... more travel advice
I was looking for a pub close to Stansted airport that we could take our dear VT friend Natalie (nhcram) to for a meal... more travel advice
alucas' Related Pages
Stansted Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guide to the Low-cost airline heaven"
- "Another Way Into the Country :-))"
- "One night in Stansted"
- "Stansted - Home of the No-Frills flight"
- "Stansted - an Airport in Essex"
- "Walking to Stansted airport."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stansted
- Hotels in Stansted
- Transportation in Stansted
- Nightlife in Stansted
- Restaurants in Stansted
- Shopping in Stansted
- Warnings and Dangers in Stansted
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stansted
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Stansted?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stansted
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: FRESH VT FLAGS for All Our..."
- updated a Stansted Travel Page "Stansted - Home of the No-Frills flight"
- Commented on one of Mariajoy's Stansted travel pages
- Wrote a Review Getting to London from Stansted - coach in Stansted Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting to London from Stansted - trains"
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues