"Wimbledon - Home of The Championships" Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon by alucas

Wimbledon Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 256 photos

Wimbledon Tennis

Liz and I have been lucky enough to go to Wimbledon many times, and have seen many of the great players of the eighties and nineties. We first went in 1980, and then every year until 1991. During those years my father-in-law was a Steward at Wimbledon, and was able to get tickets for us every year. We saw three mens finals, and quite a few mens and ladies semi-finals in this period.

We have been a few times since, but nowadays we have to rely on getting tickets in the public ballot, or the LTA ballot, as seats for the showcourts are many times over-subscribed. This has enabled us to see some of the current players, including Henman, Nalbandian, Davenport and Venus Williams.

I have scanned some of my old pictures, and have created a travelogue of some of the stars of the eighties, and will add more pictures year by year - assuming we get tickets !

The tips on this page are SOLELY about the tennis - and are based on our own experiences / observations, backed up with up-to-date facts (eg ticket prices) from the Wimbledon website.

Wimbledon 2005

Liz managed to get us tickets throught the LTA ballot (not the public ballot) for the second Monday. This was one of the best days at Wimbledon that I can remember for good quality matches, with Centre, No 1, and Court 13 having really top quality matches. We had seats on Court 2 though, but still saw three good singles matches, featuring David Nalbandian (conqueror of Andy Murray) and Richard Gasquet, Venus Williams and Jill Craybas (who put out Serena WIlliams), and finally Sebastian Grosjean playing Dmitry Tursunov (who knocked out Tim Henman).

Wimbledon 2006

Yes, went to Wimbledon again this year. Tickets from the LTA ballot again, and No 2 Court again. Missed the worst of the heatwave but it was still hot and humid, if cloudy for much of the day.

We saw some very good doubles matches, featuring some well-known names, including Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi in the mens, and Liezel Huber / Martina Navratilova against Elena Likhovtseva / Anastasia Myskina in the ladies. The last match on Court 2 was a hard-fought mixed doubles match, and featured Jie Zheng - who won the Australian ladies doubles earlier this year, and might even win at Wimbledon.

• Pros:Fabulous Tennis
  • Cons:Very difficult to get tickets nowadays !
  • Last visit to Wimbledon: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2006

• soulgirl's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 2:26 AM

I'm a big tennis fan also. I used to go to Wimbledon most years from 1978 - 1997. Hopefully I will make it again one year. Nice memories from the pictures.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 3:08 AM

Lesotho now blue - keep watching!!!!!

• zuriga's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Now that I've moved to near London, every year I say I'll go to Wimbledon - I always had to watch on U.S. TV. You've inspired me to really do it in '08! Thanks.

• Sep 8, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Yeah East Sussex is full of loads of lovely interesting places! Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a great weekend :)

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 11:17 AM

haha!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 10:09 AM

You weren't caught streaking, were you? ;-) Some very useful tips about what to bring and what not to do while there!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2007 at 6:15 AM

Really good practical tips and a nostalgic walk down memory lane with your 80s travelogue - great page! I first went to Wimbledon in the early 70s (showing my age!) and went quite often in the 80s & 90s - you've reminded me why I should go again :)

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 12:29 PM

Excellent tips on Wimbledon. I especially like your 80s travelogue as this was when I first started watching tennis and dreamed of playing in or visiting Wimbledon. I've been here for the last 3 years, hopefully I'll be lucky in the ballot again in Feb.

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 9:26 PM

What a great experience lucas. I am a huge tennis fan and would love to see Wimbledon. Do you think Henman will be back?

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

Besides the U.S. Open we went to Indian Wells a couple of times out near Palm Springs. That was quite good as both the men and women are there and you have more access to the practice courts as well. We got close to all sorts: Sampras, Agassi, Graf.

alucas

“Don't just talk about it - go book those flights !”

Badges & Stats in Wimbledon

Have you been to Wimbledon?