"Barbate de Franco" Barbate de Franco by alucas
Barbate de Franco Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 42 photos
Barbate de Franco is a fishing town on the Costa de La Luz. We drove through on our way to Capo de Trafalgar, and only stopped to stretch our legs. The beaches along the seafront are fine, clean sand, but we did not see anything in particular to make us stop and explore.
To the east side of the town there are boatyards to serve the fishing fleet, and to the west there is a large sheltered harbour. Barbate is one of the busiest fishing ports in Spain, and the main catch is tuna, which is processed and canned in the enormous sheds by the harbour. So don't visit at the peak fishing times if the wind is in the wrong direction !
To the west of the town lie some good beaches, and if you drive on eventually you will come to Cabo de Trafalger. Just off this cape is where Nelson won his famous victory over the French and Spanish fleets in 1805, which effectively prevented the French from contesting the supply route from England to Spain during the Peninsular war which followed. Nowadays it is well-known for wind-surfing, as the wind blows strongly from the sun-baked hills inland, and indeed the whole coastline south of Barbate is also known for its winds.
alucas' Related Pages
Barbate de Franco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Between Zahara and Barbate"
- "Los Canos de Meca - Alternative beach holiday?"
- "Barbate de Franco"
- "Higueral de la Oliva"
- "Barbate, a nice fishermen city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barbate de Franco
- Hotels in Barbate de Franco
- Restaurants in Barbate de Franco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barbate de Franco
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Barbate de Franco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barbate de Franco
Photos in Barbate de FrancoSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues