Jerez de la Frontera Local Custom Tips by alucas Top 5 Page for this destination
Jerez de la Frontera Local Customs: 16 reviews and 34 photos
The Feria del Caballos - May 2006
The Feria del Caballos is one of the biggest Ferias in Andalucia, and combines the three major claims to fame of Jerez - namely sherry, horses and flamenco. It is held in the second week of May.
The showground is in Parque Gonzalez Hontori on Avenida Alcalde Alvaro Domeque to the north east of the city centre, and is about 2km from the centre. The ground is huge and for the Feria is laid out in a grid of "streets" lined with over 250 canestas (or stands). The main "streets" form a cross through the middle of the showground, and it is here that the daily parade of horses, riders and carriages takes place, from around 1pm or so until 7:30pm. After the parade finishes (well, in fact a long time before it finishes !) the party begins, for the canestas are actually bars !
There is a very serious side to the Feria though. There are daily competitions held in the adjoining arena, and riders, horses and carriages from all over Andalucia take part. After all, this is what the Feria is all about (despite all the partying in the park !)
For more pictures please have a look at my travelogues - just a selection from the many I took over two days !
Fair at Jerez - May 2006
At the Feria del Caballos there is also a big fun-fair, with numerous rides and stalls. This is obviously a major attraction for the kids during the day, and the teenagers in the evening. It amused us to see the children queuing for the roller-coaster, the girls dressed up in their finest flamenco dresses.
The fair is held on land just to the east of the main Feria site, on the other side of the railway (which is on a viaduct here).
Tapa Centro - 2003 banner
During the autumn festival in September, the bars in Jerez participate in a competition called Tapa Centro. Over 50 bars take part, and a booklet is published giving the list of bars, their locations and their specialities. There is a voting form in the booklet for which bar you think has the best tapas. The booklet is available from the tourist office, or any of the participating bars.
A very tasty way to supplement your bar crawl !
More Reviews (34)
alucas' Related Pages
Jerez de la Frontera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jerez - Horses, Flamenco, Sherry and more besides!"
- "The Sherry Capital of the WORLD!"
- "Jerez de la Frontera"
- "Big City with a village soul"
- "Jerez de la Frontera - Bodegas, Horses, Heat ;-)"
- "FERIA DEL CABALLO 2006"
- "Jerez de la Frontera, Spain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jerez de la Frontera
- Hotels in Jerez de la Frontera
- Transportation in Jerez de la Frontera
- Nightlife in Jerez de la Frontera
- Restaurants in Jerez de la Frontera
- Shopping in Jerez de la Frontera
- Warnings and Dangers in Jerez de la Frontera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jerez de la Frontera
- 37 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Jerez de la Frontera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jerez de la Frontera
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: FRESH VT FLAGS for All Our..."
- Commented on one of noirroi's Jerez de la Frontera travel pages
- updated a Jerez de la Frontera Travel Page "Jerez - Horses, Flamenco, Sherry and more besides!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Tourist Office"
- Wrote a Review Give the chef a medal ! about Restaurant Gaitan in Jerez de la Frontera Restaurants
Photos in Jerez de la FronteraSee All Photos (110)
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (71)
- Bodegas- 28 Reviews, 53 Photos
- The Alcazar of Jerez- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Real Escuela Andaluza de Arte Ecuestre- 10 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Streets and Squares- 12 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Catedral de San Salvador- 8 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Feria del Caballo- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Palacio del Tiempo- 3 Reviews, 3 Photos