"Jerez - Horses, Flamenco, Sherry and more besides!" Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera by alucas
Jerez de la Frontera Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 582 photos
We have now been to Jerez four times in five years, usually for a couple of nights as part of a touring holiday, but we have also spent a whole week there as a short break on its own. So we feel that we know Jerez pretty well by now, and rarely look at a map unless we are outside the centre. Although there are a few members living in Jerez only two have logged on in the last six months, and only one has written any tips, so I feel duty bound to pass on our information to anyone who is interested.
Our first visit to Jerez in September 2001 came about for two reasons – Ryanair fly from Stanstead to Jerez, and we wanted to visit Seville, Cordoba and Granada. We only stayed one night, but resolved to come back and explore properly. So in September 2003 we spent a week in Jerez, coinciding with the Fiestas de Otono, a celebration of the sherry harvest, combined with live Flamenco and other events.
We also stopped off overnight on our way back from Toledo in September 2004.
This year (2006) we spent a couple of nights in Jerez on our way to the VT meet in Marbella, and returned for a couple of nights the following week to go to the main festival - the Feria del Caballos - which is held in the second week of May. The Feria del Caballos is one of the biggest Ferias in Andalucia, and combines the three major claims to fame of Jerez - namely sherry, horses and flamenco.
Apart from the festivals, there are plenty of other things to see in Jerez, and it is easy to get to Seville and Cadiz. We found more than enough to keep us occupied for a week, even without a car.
No visit to Jerez is complete without a visit to AT LEAST one of the Bodegas. Many of the names will be recognisable to you, including Gonzalez Byass, Sandeman, and Domeque. Do try a selection of sherries - and you might even acquire a taste for a nice, dry fino !
For a different view of Jerez, take a look at Liz's pages
- Pros:Compact, friendly and lively town
- In a nutshell:There's much more to Jerez than sherry !
This restaurant is tucked away down a small street off Porvera, and you really need to look at a map before trying to... more travel advice
The Old Fish Market or Calle Pescaderia Vieja is not much more than an alley that runs from the north-west side of Plaza... more travel advice
alucas' Related Pages
Jerez de la Frontera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jerez - Horses, Flamenco, Sherry and more besides!"
- "The Sherry Capital of the WORLD!"
- "Jerez de la Frontera"
- "Big City with a village soul"
- "Jerez de la Frontera - Bodegas, Horses, Heat ;-)"
- "FERIA DEL CABALLO 2006"
- "Jerez de la Frontera, Spain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jerez de la Frontera
- Hotels in Jerez de la Frontera
- Transportation in Jerez de la Frontera
- Nightlife in Jerez de la Frontera
- Restaurants in Jerez de la Frontera
- Shopping in Jerez de la Frontera
- Warnings and Dangers in Jerez de la Frontera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jerez de la Frontera
- 37 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Jerez de la Frontera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jerez de la Frontera
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: FRESH VT FLAGS for All Our..."
- Commented on one of noirroi's Jerez de la Frontera travel pages
- updated a Jerez de la Frontera Travel Page "Jerez - Horses, Flamenco, Sherry and more besides!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Tourist Office"
- Wrote a Review Give the chef a medal ! about Restaurant Gaitan in Jerez de la Frontera Restaurants
Photos in Jerez de la FronteraSee All Photos (110)
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues