"Jerez - Horses, Flamenco, Sherry and more besides!" Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera by alucas

Jerez de la Frontera Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 579 photos

The picture above was taken at the Feria del Caballo in Jerez in May 2006.

We have now been to Jerez four times in five years, usually for a couple of nights as part of a touring holiday, but we have also spent a whole week there as a short break on its own. So we feel that we know Jerez pretty well by now, and rarely look at a map unless we are outside the centre. Although there are a few members living in Jerez only two have logged on in the last six months, and only one has written any tips, so I feel duty bound to pass on our information to anyone who is interested.

Our first visit to Jerez in September 2001 came about for two reasons – Ryanair fly from Stanstead to Jerez, and we wanted to visit Seville, Cordoba and Granada. We only stayed one night, but resolved to come back and explore properly. So in September 2003 we spent a week in Jerez, coinciding with the Fiestas de Otono, a celebration of the sherry harvest, combined with live Flamenco and other events.

We also stopped off overnight on our way back from Toledo in September 2004.

This year (2006) we spent a couple of nights in Jerez on our way to the VT meet in Marbella, and returned for a couple of nights the following week to go to the main festival - the Feria del Caballos - which is held in the second week of May. The Feria del Caballos is one of the biggest Ferias in Andalucia, and combines the three major claims to fame of Jerez - namely sherry, horses and flamenco.

Apart from the festivals, there are plenty of other things to see in Jerez, and it is easy to get to Seville and Cadiz. We found more than enough to keep us occupied for a week, even without a car.

No visit to Jerez is complete without a visit to AT LEAST one of the Bodegas. Many of the names will be recognisable to you, including Gonzalez Byass, Sandeman, and Domeque. Do try a selection of sherries - and you might even acquire a taste for a nice, dry fino !

For a different view of Jerez, take a look at Liz's pages

• Pros:Compact, friendly and lively town
  • In a nutshell:There's much more to Jerez than sherry !
  • Last visit to Jerez de la Frontera: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2007

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Interesting and helpful tips. Have copied and saved many. Thanks!

• lomi's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Loved your pages. And the pics! We live in Lanzarote but like visiting mainland Spain. Am looking to go in June, pity the hotel your recommended is full! Anywhere else you'd recommend?

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'm swinging through Jerez en route to Conil. Looks like I need to devote more time to this unique destination.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2008 at 6:30 AM

Just looked at my comment on your Ubeda page. I sent that postcard from Addis Ababa on 30 November!

• Dec 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM

I think my Jerez page will never be as good as yours as I live so near but rarely go or never take my camera! Nor do I do any of the best tourist activities due to my local status!!! ;)

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2007 at 12:05 PM

=DDD

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Excellent page - very thorough and with plenty of local colour :)

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Very good page. I think I'll do a daytrip to Jerez from Sevilla. Ciao!

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 5:12 AM

Never to forget that JEREZ is land of LOLA FLORES, she was the FLAMENCO in person!:)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 7:43 PM

The Feria looks like fabulous fun and I can never have enough Spanish food, looks like there is more of Spain for me to explore :-)

alucas

“Don't just talk about it - go book those flights !”

Badges & Stats in Jerez de la Frontera

Have you been to Jerez de la Frontera?