"Toledo" Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo by alucas

Toledo Travel Guide: 675 reviews and 1,774 photos

We spent three days in Toledo in September 2004 as part of our circular tour via Jerez, Cordoba, Merida and back to Jerez. ANother day would have been nice - it was so hot that we took it at a very leisurely pace and missed quite a bit.

Leaving Andalusia behind us, we set off from Cordoba and drove north east towards the Sierra Morena. We travelled through the pass known as "Desfiladero de Despenaperros" into central Spain. (See my Jaen page for the story behind this name )

In September, the "plains of Spain" lie parched and brown by the Spanish summer sun, but still possess a simple drama of their own. Huge brilliant blue skies fall to the ground, thousands of olive trees run to the horizon, interspersed by the occasional white washed villa. We passed Valdepenas, which is well known for red wine, and sped along fast roads towards Toledo and the centre of Spain.

Toledo is a handsome, slightly sombre city, the old quarter standing proud upon a hill. The most prominent building is a towering much re-constructed Alcazar or palace. However Toledo is predominantly a Christian city with a vast cathedral and other churches presiding over a network of Arab alleyways. The streets are narrow and twisting and it is all too easy to get lost, but Toledo is a small city and exploring the streets and finding your way is all part of the experience - you will never be far away from a landmark.

Toledo was briefly the capital of Spain in 1560 and was the original planned last resting place of Spain's most famous Christian monarchs, Ferdinand and Isabella in the beautiful church of San Juan de los Reyes - but that is another tale.

• Last visit to Toledo: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 22, 2005

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2007 at 11:32 AM

LOL! the first thing he asked me was "does this mean there will always be food in my fridge?" I guess I'll be the butcher, the baker but I ain't making no damn candles.

• grets's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Naughty boy - sneaking pictures inside where it's not allowed and 'stealing' photos from the internet. Tut tut tut. ;-) Great page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2007 at 8:40 AM

Another excellent page - capturing some lovely Spanish sunshine to cheer a dull London February day!

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 5:41 AM

Although I have seen these pages before, I can now agree with it all. It is a fabulous place. I must go back as I never had enough time there.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 12:08 PM

Andrew, fabulous page with brilliant photos of Toledo. I really should visit more of Spain in the future.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Once I actually did get thoroughly lost in the twists and turns of those narrow streets, but it was great because it was Christmas Eve and groups of costumed musicians were strolling around and singing. (Thanks for your birthday wishes, by the way.)

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 5:28 AM

Nice page! I am not that much interested in old buildings, but I might enjoy looking at a few of those :) Lol! A sword is probably what I would want to buy there...

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Toledo is beautiful. Nice page. I will go there again in some days :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 3:30 PM

Great tips! I loved this city!

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2005 at 9:16 PM

I'm looking too, beautiful architechture. I wonder if you'd be allowed to bring a sword on a plane? Lesley

alucas Visits Here Frequently!

alucas

“Don't just talk about it - go book those flights !”

Badges & Stats in Toledo