"Toledo" Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo by alucas
Toledo Travel Guide: 675 reviews and 1,774 photos
We spent three days in Toledo in September 2004 as part of our circular tour via Jerez, Cordoba, Merida and back to Jerez. ANother day would have been nice - it was so hot that we took it at a very leisurely pace and missed quite a bit.
Leaving Andalusia behind us, we set off from Cordoba and drove north east towards the Sierra Morena. We travelled through the pass known as "Desfiladero de Despenaperros" into central Spain. (See my Jaen page for the story behind this name )
In September, the "plains of Spain" lie parched and brown by the Spanish summer sun, but still possess a simple drama of their own. Huge brilliant blue skies fall to the ground, thousands of olive trees run to the horizon, interspersed by the occasional white washed villa. We passed Valdepenas, which is well known for red wine, and sped along fast roads towards Toledo and the centre of Spain.
Toledo is a handsome, slightly sombre city, the old quarter standing proud upon a hill. The most prominent building is a towering much re-constructed Alcazar or palace. However Toledo is predominantly a Christian city with a vast cathedral and other churches presiding over a network of Arab alleyways. The streets are narrow and twisting and it is all too easy to get lost, but Toledo is a small city and exploring the streets and finding your way is all part of the experience - you will never be far away from a landmark.
Toledo was briefly the capital of Spain in 1560 and was the original planned last resting place of Spain's most famous Christian monarchs, Ferdinand and Isabella in the beautiful church of San Juan de los Reyes - but that is another tale.
I spotted this doorway in one of the narrow streets - don't ask me where, I know it was somewhere just north of the... more travel advice
The best views of Toledo are to be had from the other side of the Rio Tago. But to see them you will need transport, as... more travel advice
Written Nov 13, 2004
San Juan de los Reyes
Written Nov 13, 2004
The Cloisters - San Juan de los Reyes
alucas' Related Pages
Toledo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Time in a bubble"
- "The entire city is a national monument"
- "Keeweechic's Toledo"
- "The Three Cultures City"
- "Golden Toledo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toledo
- Hotels in Toledo
- Transportation in Toledo
- Nightlife in Toledo
- Restaurants in Toledo
- Shopping in Toledo
- Warnings and Dangers in Toledo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toledo
- 18 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Toledo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toledo
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues