"Lucca - a Gem of a City" Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca by alucas

Lucca Travel Guide: 566 reviews and 1,473 photos

Lucca is a gem of a little Italian city. It has all you could wish to find crammed into the centre, and all surrounded by imposing walls. Narrow medieval streets paved in stone lead into piazzas large and small, and beautiful churches greet you as you wander through the streets. There are some fabulous shops, cosy trattorias, bars and restaurants, and art galleries and museums.

We have had two holidays in Lucca, firstly in 2002 for an extended weekend, and then, because we liked it so much, a whole week in July 2004. Both times we stayed in small hotels outside the city walls, and walked in to the centre each day.

I hope you will enjoy reading this page, and maybe it will tempt you to pay a visit. But not too many of you - I wouldn't want it to be spoilt with lots of tourists !!

There are many things to see in Lucca that do not feature amongst my tips - the Puccini museum for one. It doen't mean that we didn't go there, just that I haven't got a picture to go with the tip. There are still places that we haven't visited - some of the lovely churches - but then that's an excuse for another weekend away !

All comments are welcome and greatly appreciated.

• Last visit to Lucca: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 8, 2005

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2011 at 12:53 AM

I'm going to spend some days there again. Nice page.

Ciao!

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Happy Birthday Andrew !

• mariaschmidt's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM

A whole week in Lucca ! I envy you :-) I wish we could do that too but we have to see Florence and Venice ....

• babettu's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Great page...... and very good information ! ! !

• rubbersoul75's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Good pages! You mention a return to Tuscany- that's probably my only somewhat complete page. We Say Aida in Verona the year after you. Cool experience, but a long show on that marble huh? ciao-

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 7:08 AM

Your very good tips are helping me to prepair my next travel to the "Toscana" Gracias!!!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 11:18 AM

This looks like a real gem of an Italian city. The B&B sounds great and the food very tempting ;)

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 5:18 AM

YES....just BEING in Italy is an historical fact! :) Lucca sounds lovely!;)

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 9:18 AM

What new Oz pages?! ; ) I have been distracted by researching accom for our next Italy visit in Sep! Oh, and working too ; )

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 4:03 PM

great page!

alucas Visits Here Frequently!

alucas

“Don't just talk about it - go book those flights !”

Badges & Stats in Lucca