"Mantova and Mantegna" Mantova by alucas
Mantova Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 296 photos
Mantova, or Mantua as it is more often known in English, is a small gem of a city rising from the plains of Lombardy. The city is bordered on three sides by the River Mincio and is approached by a causeway. The city is crammed with culture boasting two large palaces, a beautiful astrological clock and several important churches, not to mention some attractive shops and restaurants.
We only had a day in Mantua and spent much of our time visiting the Ducal Palace of the Gonzaga family who ruled for several hundred years from 1328. But now we have an excuse to go back - to visit the Palazzo del Te.
Allow plenty of time if you wish to see all there is in Mantua. As is often the case, Italy is extravagant with its treasures and this little city has so much to offer. We plan to return one day.
(One of our few travelling rules is: "Always leave something to return to another time" )
The tips on the Gonzaga Palace were written by my wife Liz, before she became a member of VT.
We needed a break from our tour of the Palazzo Ducale, and spotted a sign for the restaurant, expecting to find a small... more travel advice
We spent much of our time in Mantua visting the Ducal Palace of the Gonzaga family. If you haven’t read my first tip on... more travel advice
alucas' Related Pages
Mantova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City Full Of Art, Churches, Palazzos, and Lakes"
- "Mantova: a little lost paradise"
- "Surrounded with three lakes"
- "Mantova and Mantegna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mantova
- Hotels in Mantova
- Transportation in Mantova
- Nightlife in Mantova
- Restaurants in Mantova
- Shopping in Mantova
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nuwara Eliya
- Lido di Iesolo
- Bramcote Hotels
- Acornhoek Hotels
- West Kalimantan Province
- Semmering Hotels
- Surinam Hotels
- T'bilisi Hotels
- Torrejón de Ardoz
- Mount Shasta
- Bad Mergentheim
- Cala Figuera
- Zell am Harmersbach
- Saint Paul
- Old Washington Historic State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mantova
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Mantova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mantova
Top 10 Pages
- Santorini Island Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 129 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 37 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Úbeda Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wimbledon Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Mantova hotel reviews
- Albergo San Lorenzo
- 2 Reviews & Opinions