"Essex and its Villages" Top 5 Page for this destination Essex by alucas

Essex Travel Guide: 788 reviews and 1,805 photos

This page will be permanently under construction as I add places locally.

Essex is really a county of two halves. There is the flat vast sprawl of over-developed towns and industry towards the Thames and London, and the farmlands and villages of North-East Essex. The border between the two is blurred somewhere in the middle, but as the towns expand outwards the pretty villages are gradually being swallowed up.

Colchester

The largest town in north Essex is Colchester, recognised as the Oldest Recorded Town in Britain and the original Roman capital here. See my pages on Colchester for some information on Roman Colchester, its role in the Civil War, and places to see.

The Villages

Some of the local villages and towns have quite a history of their own. I'll be adding to my pages over time as and when I take some pictures. They are all shown on this map, but it's a bit hard to read !

Have a look at my pages on

Coggeshall

Kelvedon
Maldon
Wakes Colne and Chappel

and more !

Some of the villages aren't worthy of a page to themselves, so I will write about them as "Off the Beaten Path" tips. E.G. Layer Marney, and Terling.

• Intro Updated Jul 30, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Amazing that after eight or nine centuries a descendent of the de Vere family still owns the keep of Castle Hedingham. That's over two dozen generations, at least.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2007 at 5:51 AM

I like the architecture. Maybe someday I will get past London...

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2007 at 3:48 AM

Hmmm perhaps I should consider visiting Essex soon looks like you have some interesting places around

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Your hometown looks AWESOME. Gr8 pics & OTBP tips like only a local would know. Tudor Architecture, ancient castle......and I was proud of my "historical" San Clemente dating al the way back to the 1920's hahaha Nancy

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Well, if you can make it to Em's meet near Boston this September ... I already bought my ticket AND booked accomodations :) So I WILL be at THAT one! Open door to you and Liz if you even make it to the American Southwest/Route 66!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2007 at 3:01 AM

Hi Andrew! Great tips here, as usual, very good info and nice photos. Looks like a lovely area to live in... shame that the girls have such a "bad reputation" ;-) Greetings from the desert / Jess

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Nice Essex page & photos. It seems you always have good weather ;-)

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 12:17 AM

So that's what the fuss is all about!

• poons's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 2:39 AM

haha touche. Yes I should get myself one of those fridge magnets too :o)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2006 at 10:44 AM

So sorry to hear that, I guess visions of figgy pudding will have to dance in your head along with the sugarplums tonight! I'm hoping for some prime rib and Yorkshire pudding for dinner :-)

alucas Lives Here!

alucas

“Don't just talk about it - go book those flights !”

Badges & Stats in Essex