"UNCOMMON ENCLAVES IN NEW YORK CITY" New York City by SOLODANCER

New York City Travel Guide: 15,856 reviews and 31,858 photos

A Personal New York

Uncommon neighborhoods, little escapes of serenity, small intimate cafes, benches for the weary, local eats, particular streets, nooks and crannies. These are the stuff of my beloved city I want you first experienced unless of course you think of yourself as the common tourist.

Wow, I'm on finally. It will remain a mystery in me how on earth it had taken this much time to set it up - not so much as to claim this early - to build my NYC Page. It took this long to happen because it had to tell me it will be something different, out of my own dialogue with her. Before that, I could only keep walking, as a captive, the streets of New York City.

New York is overpraised (let alone overpriced), highly discovered, over-loved, overpossessed...over one she dominates. Do I look at her and see her and stare at her all the time - my way, my own, my precious present?

So, what I will share with the traveller about my NYC will be all its own: private and personal. Things and scenes not much trampled upon by a million feet. A New York that's somehow disconnected from her addiction to money. Even for a first time visitor to this great city, it would do well for him/her to look first to the human component of her whole, the flimsy attire she wears which reveals a raw sensuality that should touch the eyelids to open wide, the emotion from a sensibility refreshed. Experiencing the lady, the city, without first her make-up, earrings and bangles. Red lips.

This way you will remember her even better and longer and, come back you will, - she possesses power to make one never forget her - wanting her even more. This time you will be ready and tolerant to her modern wiles of: Fifth Avenue, the shopping, the need to be seen, the bridges and skycrapers, Macy's and the MET, her main sites - all her flighty side that the unreflecting visitor would rush over to see because he/she were told so and have not had a glance of this VT page.

So here is New York as a different story. If you would please be patient...

• Intro Updated May 10, 2012

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I really enjoyed reading about all the little parks you were able to visit.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Lovely page, Gabriel. Glad I'll probably be here in October, because it would be terrible if one were to 'fry one's cajones' (even if this one had them!):)
    Regards
    Cathy

• Stine620's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Nice page, and ur pictures are really good:)

• gubbi1's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Nice to see rather unkown places in this town. Interesting for someone who hasn't been there but heard so much of this huge city.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I just loved touring your NYC pages..I want to come and have a look at the street art,it is fabulous.
    Cheers Dorrise

• alza's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I like going to NYC, Hell's Kitchen, Garment District... new eating places popping up, like the feel there.But I'm cheating the seasons, going to Turks&Caicos soon, first such holiday! Tks for yr wishes, reciprocated :) oh Café des Artistes is gorgeous!!!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 11:17 PM

That food festival sounds mouthwateringly worthy of a return visit to New York!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Thoroughly enjoy your writing - will come back looking for more!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Love your writing style!

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Great tips, Gabriel. I must find me a new place soon. I miss HK soooo much!!

SOLODANCER Lives Here!

SOLODANCER

“In journey, there are gods.”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?