"CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns by Anne12

Cairns Travel Guide: 867 reviews and 2,199 photos

CAIRNS

Before coming to live in Cairns, I had visited this area for many years.
I fell in love with this area and now I am enjoying the Far North Queensland lifestyle.
I never get sick of the surrounding mountains, either with there tips covered in cloud or with a backdrop of bright blue sky.
I love driving the roads with sugar cane fields on each side, with a palm tree in the picture as well, then you look up and see the jets landing and taking off from the airport, this to me is Cairns.
Cairns is very multi cultural. We have many people from around the world staying here and also having made this area there home.

We live in the yard of the local Aboriginal's land, we have many different tribes/communities in this area, from here to Kuranda and beyond, plus going all the way to the Cape and over to the Islands.

Since living in Cairns I have become aware that I am not the only Southener to fall for this place. Far North Queenslander has been invaded by us, plus all the tourists:)

Cairns has many attractions for the visitor, within the city limits as well as the surrounding areas, these including Atherton Tablelands, Northern Beaches and not forgetting my old favourite Port Douglas.
Cairns is truely the gateway to many wonderful areas.

Most visitors that come here are looking to visit the Great Barrier Reef and the Rainforest, but there are some wonderful hidden gems to be discovered. Yes, the Reef is a must as well as the trip to Cape Tribulation, but also check out the other places that surround this area.

Cairns is a fast growing city. You can see the houses being built everywhere. Sometimes I even think it's a shame, they are eating up a lot of the lovely forest areas.
The population is around 130,000 Cairns has everything you need for a relaxed lifestyle.

THINGS YOU MAY LIKE TO KNOW( Under construction)

We have visitors from Interstate as well as overseas.
A lot of people like to book everything before they come. Yes, this is a great idea if you have only a few days to experience this area, especially if you are here in the high season.
BUT if you are here for a week or so, you really should think about booking tours when you arrive. There are SO MANY tourist information/booking centres, these are at some accommodation, also scattered all about the city area.Along the Esplanade has many, as well as streets around this area.
Accommodation places do have specials in the web, there are many web sites.I would suggest to *google* Cairns Accommodation and start from there. You have all the Resorts as well as budget apartments, hostels, caravan parks with cabins.A lot of these are self contained, have kitchen areas and also laundry etc.

THE BACKPACKER BRIGADE

Apart from the tourist to this area, we have the Backpacker. These visitors to the region are usually young and have a workers permit to stay in Australia for 12 months or more. At any one time we can have thousands of these young people working and playing in the area.
Without these young people the towns restaurants and, fruit growers and other outlets would be very short on staff in the high season. We rely upon these travellers to boost our employment in the High season.
Also throughout the year.
They also bring in millions of dollars to this region while they stay here and spend.

If you are thinking of coming here to Cairns as a part of your journey throughout Australia, you have made an excellent choice.
I am going to put some general tips in a Travelogue on my Cairns Page. Please check this out for any info, if you don't find what you are looking for, just email me through VT and I will endeavour to help you as much as possible.

• Pros:Never Cold
  • Cons:Never Cold!!!
  • In a nutshell:Great Lifestyle, Beautiful scenery, Just love it!!
  • Last visit to Cairns: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 3, 2008

Travelogues (1)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM

The greenery is all over and very lush looking. It is no wonder you relocated here with good weather to boot. Good job of presenting

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I have enjoyed your cairns page with my morning cuppa. You've done a great job! Makes me want to come back and see more. Thanks. Tracey

• timada's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Great job , you worked hard to do it . Very nice photos !

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2008 at 7:30 AM

G'day, Anne! Thanx for your brilliant pages! Say hi to your princess.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Yep for sure, we are only there 4 hrs tho. be in touch x

• craic's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 9:34 AM

one day i will get there - hope life is great for you

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 6:13 PM

LOL. Swiimming pool in Cairns. Interesting since most of us think of Great Barrier Reef when we think of Cairns. Cheers from Penang, SL :)

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 12:04 AM

cant wait Anne...BTW whats the nasty comment on your page...Do you want me to punch him for you LOL

• Jul 19, 2006 at 1:45 PM

Maybe you should learn how to spell before posting a message I think, and do a bit more research before condemning my home town...

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2006 at 2:13 AM

Thanks! That is why we will stay in Port Douglas - closer to the beach! Where do you go white water rafting??

Anne12 Lives Here!