"A stop you won't regret!" Top 5 Page for this destination Coober Pedy by Anne12

Coober Pedy Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 93 photos

A town like no other!

When I mentioned that I was going to stay at Coober Pedy on my travels I was asked * Why on earth are you staying there?* My answer was simple, because I want to see this Opal mining town up close.

I have noticed that some VTer's have put tips of * Don't stop , drive through*, how do they know what this place is like if they drove through and didn't get into the history and what makes this town.

So we arrived at this town and stayed two nights. We arrived early afternoon and started to explore. We did this over the next day also, we were so glad we didn't listen to the negatives....now I am going to tell you about the positives....

Opals, Heat and Opal diggings everywhere.

Coober Pedy is a Opal mining town.
That is what nearly everyone is there for, to search for the most beautiful opal and make their fortune. Apparently it can get into your blood, many we spoke to had been there for a short holiday and ended up staying there, even though most admitted they do get out of the town at least once a year, this being in the summer as it gets bloody hot mate!!!!

Either coming from the south or north you will notice mounds of dirt everywhere, these are the underground mines. Little mounds, big mounds, mounds and more mounds. You will also notice some very interesting machinery around these mounds, machinery that has been exclusivly for the art of Opal mining the Pedy way.

The landscape is flat as a tack, except for these mounds.

• Pros:Interesting, friendly, something totally different!
  • Cons:Bloody hot in summer
  • In a nutshell:More than meets the eye!
  • Last visit to Coober Pedy: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2006

Badges & Stats in Coober Pedy

Have you been to Coober Pedy?