"The Village of Kuranda" Top 5 Page for this destination Kuranda by Anne12

Kuranda Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 210 photos

Kuranda and surrounding area

Put Kuranda on your list, it's a lovely little village to walk around. Surrounded by rainforest.

There is one main street and over the years it has become a tourist town. 20 years ago it was discovered by the *Hippies* and until a few years ago it was a sleepy little village. Now it has bus loads of people arriving daily and businesses selling everything are found along the main street.'

The Old markets are still there,. but now there are markets throughout the side streets.

I personally like to head there when the markets aren't on as there isn't quite as many people.

Barron River

Kuranda is situated on the Barron River. There is the Barron Falls is just out of town.

You can do a cruise down the river looking for Crocodiles...Yes, DON"T go swimming in the River:)

Kuranda has some of the best kept gardens, all along the paths there are tropical plants and throughout the main st. there are great pieces of art in the form of iron sculptures. Even the rubbish bins blend into the gardens.
The gardens and hanging baskets at the Railway station are wonderful.

• Pros:Great place to walk/ shop and have a coffee
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:A visit is a must.....
  • Last visit to Kuranda: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2005

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Hi Anne..great page ..hope to visit here and take this train trip after the VT meet in September at Airlie beach..great tips and photos thanks for sharing..

• ricky52's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Kuranda, another part of the world that I have not heard of. I have now. Great pages and tips.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 8:41 PM

great tips!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 3:23 AM

Looks an interesting place. I expect if we ever get out there, it will have grown even more!!! One of these days......

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 11:22 PM

Nice tips, Anne! Hopefully we will make it up there in April. I am still slowly working on my Hepburn page. Will I ever finish??

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 3:43 PM

its a shame we missed Kuranda, I guess we`ll just have to come back lovely page Annie

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2005 at 6:35 PM

This place is definately on my huge 'must see' list :o) Awesome page with gorgeous pix matey!! And pecan pie, mmm yummy yummy :o)

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 2:50 AM

This is my kind of place. The rainforest cruise sounds like a "must do". Excellent little page and photos.

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2005 at 10:50 PM

OMG I white water rafted on the Baron River...now they tell me about the crocs:)

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2005 at 2:38 AM

good page - I loved the butterflies there - even though my camera kept misting up!

Badges & Stats in Kuranda

Have you been to Kuranda?