"Heritage and more Heritage" Maldon by Anne12
Maldon Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 53 photos
I was getting cabin fever and decided to take a drive. So with camera in the bag I headed to Maldon.
Maldon is a heritage town approx 140k's from Melbourne
Just the right distance for a Sunday drive.
When you enter Maldon you will feel like you have stepped back in time.
All the buildings in the Main and side streets are as they were many years ago.
There are some lovely old pubs offering meals, plus cafe's and restaurants.
Also plenty of shops you can do a little retail therapy:)
Maldon was orginally a Gold town. In 1853 Gold was found in the area and 20,000 miners arrived in the first month.
At the end of 1854 a lot of the miners left to head to others areas around Maldon where gold was being found.
In 1860 Deep quautz mining started and Maldon became on of the richest gold fields in the world.
Mining continued until 1926.
There are many diggings and mines that you can still walk around.
One of the main ones is the Carmen's Tunnel Gold Mine.
Now the town is more known for the anitique shops along the main street.
In 1965 the National Trust recognised Maldons unique buildings and in 1966 it declared
the town Victorias first *Notable Town*
The population is now around 1,500.
The town has a very strict building and town planning code, hence the ld world feel it has.
- Pros:A lovely town to walk and browse.
- Cons:Can't think of any
- In a nutshell:A good distance from Melbourne for a Sunday drive.
I am not sure what the culture is in this.' In a window there was this huge scarf rolled up, meters of wool knitted by... more travel advice
These are recommended camping sites around Maldon, Castlemaine and surrounding areas. Castlemaine is approximately 15... more travel advice
Anne12's Related Pages
Maldon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heritage and more Heritage"
- "Maldon & Surrounds"
- "Maldon - my home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maldon
- Hotels in Maldon
- Nightlife in Maldon
- Restaurants in Maldon
- Shopping in Maldon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maldon
- 15 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Maldon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maldon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Douglas Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Campbell Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos
- Maldon Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 16 reviews, 8 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuranda Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Queenscliff Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos